Finishing some engraved coasters

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
chomdh

Re: Finishing some engraved coasters

Post by chomdh » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:00 am

Today I was able to finish a batch of coasters I will give as Christmas gifts. I really appreciate the finishing advice given above. I used sanding sealer before adding the black latex paint as suggested and it definitely helped prevent leakage out of the v groove engravings. It also resulted in a super smooth finish after sanding. Then I finished them off with a satin oil based polyurethane.

So in summary:
2 coats of sanding sealer, sanding after each coat. The sealer helped pull up small loose fibers which needed to be sanded away.
Added black latex paint to all engravings or pockets using a very fine brush, wiping away excess paint with a paper towel after every letter, then sanded again.
Finished with 1 coat of satin polyurethane.

Just one minor gripe: the spacing between the A and W in HAWKS bothers me. What the best way to adjust this and is it possible with f-engrage?

Last edited by chomdh on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:04 am

Those look great, lots of work right there. Care to share the sanding sealer you used? I have had no luck with painting oak so far.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:07 am

Thank you. I enjoy the work you've posted also.

I used Minwax sanding sealer: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/har ... ing-sealer
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:35 am

chomdh wrote:Just one minor gripe: the spacing between the A and W in HAWKS bothers me. What the best way to adjust this and is it possible with f-engrage?

From memory, the spacing between letters like that is called "kerning". Will would know. I've not used f-engrave before, so can't help directly. Guessing this is the one?

http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html

The page there doesn't mention kerning at all, so it might not yet have the capability. The author does have an email address on there, so asking there might have a good result. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:56 am

Yes. Kerning.

Probably the app in question doesn’t use kerning pairs, or the font doesn’t have them for that letter pair.

Best to do the spacing in an app which affords good control (read the literature on calligraphy for the best discussions on spacing) and then export in a suitable file format.

I’ve found the easiest way to have total control in F-engrave is to make up the entire engraving portion of a job as a character in a custom font — that’s what I did for the dial in the Studley Locking Register calipers I did.

http://projects.shapeoko.com/project.php?id=154
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:12 am

Good discussions in the type design, graphic design and typography literature:

- Betty Binns’ Better Type
- Walter Tracy’s Letters of Credit
- Robert Bringhurst’s a Elements of Typographic Style
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Very nice!

Speaking of kerning, "HA WKS" is only the most obvious problem. The software did not do a good job on "V OW ELS" and "AW ESOME" either... For this kind of stuff, you really need good fonts and software that supports automatic kerning, or at least lets you do it manually.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Emailed the author of F-Engrave yesterday, asking if there are any plans to add kerning. No luck though. :(
No, I do not plan to add any type of kerning ability to F-Engrave. To get proper kerning you can:

1. Make the text in a design tool that supports kerning
2. Export it to a format that F-Engrave can import (DXF or Image File)
3. Open the design in F-Engrave

or

1. Get the design started in F-Engrave
2. Export it from F-Engrave as an SVG file
3. Edit the SVG file in Inkscape then save as DXF file
4. Open the DXF file with the modified design in F-Engrave

Scorch
Was worth a shot. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:58 pm

So is inkscape a good option to adjust letter to letter spacing (kerning)?
edit: I just answered my question. I pulled up the same font I used for HAWKS in inkscape and the kerning is much improved. I'll be changing my workflow next time I do this!
Shapeoko2 #3702: