Slick walnut finish

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
TomO

Slick walnut finish

Post by TomO » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:20 am

Hope everyone is doing well!

I am hoping to get a smooth finish on a black walnut project and am looking for recommendations on methods of filling the grain.

I did a little research and came up with this method:
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/w ... -projects/

Does this seem like the best option - is the Danish oil compatible with a poly finish?

I hope to fill the grain and then only use a polyurethane finish - I am looking for a natural walnut look that is smooth.

My plan is to v carve the walnut and fill the letters in with white wood filler - I believe the smooth finish will make the process much easier to clean up.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

-Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atonwa

Re: Slick walnut finish

Post by Atonwa » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:16 am

I worked with refinishing walnut in our mid 50's home a lot the past year. My absolute favorite finish is Danish Oil. It really pops the finish of almost any wood. I have used Poly over the oil and this video showing quarter sawn oak seems to confirm my findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... rRlVXQiZZs

Good luck, can't wait to see the finished product.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:31 pm

If you're going to put poly over any oil products make sure you use oil based poly. At one point oil based poly was all that you could find, but now water based is very popular. Here in the states most of the water based poly is packaged in cans with blue on them. Not all manufacturers follow this but it's true in most of you're big box stores. If you use water based on oil it will bead up, blister or peel off.

TomO

Slick walnut finish

Post by TomO » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Well I actually change direction - I'm going to grab some crystalac wood grain filler this evening and give it a shot. This is the grain filler rockler recommends. I will let you all know how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:27 am

I'd recommend to use a sanding sealer on the walnut prior to using the grain filler and at least one finish coat prior to carving and filling.

Another product you could try is General Finishes Enduro sanding sealer and lacquer. They are water based. The sanding sealer builds nice, and does not fully harden for ~ 30 days. You can level, it and reapply in 30-45 minutes.

Keep in mind the article you referenced is not talking about American black walnut which has a tighter grain than the tropical walnut mentioned.