Ribbon - Instructions and G-code

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Todd Bailey

Ribbon - Instructions and G-code

Post by Todd Bailey » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 pm

For all you ShapeOko owners out there that would like to machine a ribbon like the one in the post below... here you go!

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=698

If this work out I would be happy to upload more code for different projects (may be on a paypal donation model - pay what you feel it is worth).

Files attached to this post:
- Toolpath Info.txt - This is only for reference. The times are very approximate. You will notice both toolpaths are included in this txt file. Refer to the toopath you are using.
- Ribbon-ShapeOko-1.5mmBall.zip - Toolpath if you are using a 1.5mm Ball End Mill. You will get a nicer surface finish if you use this cutter.
- Ribbon-ShapeOko-60deg.zip - Toolpath if you are using the 60 degree cutter that came with the ShapeOko.

The ribbon will be blank.
Wood - Pine would be a good choice.
Part Size - 160mm x 40mm x 4.5mm

INSTRUCTIONS.... READ!!!! I am not much of a writer so please excuse any spelling, grammar errors...

Sorry it has taken me a bit to get this to you all. I wanted to make sure I had some good information so no ShakeOko users or their machines would get hurt during the machining of a part of mine.

I can not be held responsible for any damage done to you or your machine by using any of these instruction or g-code. I will try to do my best to make the directions clear.

Things to remember...

1. First off I model in ArtCAM. All of these models have been created by me and fall under my Open Use License agreement. Hence so does the g-code. Feel free to use this for your own projects but do not resell the code. It is free and all I ask for is if you use it to email me a picture of your finished part or share the results (citing 4m3D.com). I may choose to use it in a Newsletter but will cite your name.

2. Make sure you are well caffeinated! Important.

3. Be careful.

Getting started....

Gorilla videos I made to help...

https://plus.google.com/photos/11512964 ... b3szta0jwE

NOTE - The spindle will move to the bottom right of the part and then plunge.... it will work its way to the left at a 45degree angle.

1. Have a piece of wood cut larger than the model size. 5-10 mm larger
2. Find the center of the material (we will assume wood) by making a cross hair along the full length of the piece.
3. Use double sided tape (I use the foamy kind) on the bottom to stick it to the table. All you need is 4 small pieces. Position them along the center of the sides so that stick out from under the material.
4. Always run the g-code in the air (only for 5 or 10 seconds) just to make sure you know what will happen. Move the spindle 20mm above table in the center of your workspace … and send it. Always a good test. Once you get an idea of what will happen stop the code and move the spindle out of the way.
5. Stick down the piece of material to the surface of the table (in the center of the work space)
6. move the cutter over the center if the material (X,Y axis). Use the cross hair for reference.
7. then using your g-code sender software move the cutter down to the surface of the material. BE CAREFULL not to drive the cutter into the material. When you get close to the material place a piece of paper between the cutter and the material. This piece of paper will let you know when you are close enough to the material. Slowly jog then cutter down .01mm at a time, move the paper around a bit, when you feel the paper grab... STOP. Jog up .01mm, this will be your start.
8. turn on spindle
9. cross fingers...
10. Send code.

If I have missed a step.. and you notice please leave it in the comments and I will add it in.

Good luck!!!!
Attachments
Ribbon-ShapeOko-60deg.zip
(289.15 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Ribbon-ShapeOko-1.5mmBall.zip
(297.96 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Toolpath Info.txt
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Last edited by Todd Bailey on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
Todd Bailey and ShapeOko - 413
Owner and Creative Designer
4m3D Creative Design
http://www.4m3d.com
Skype Call - todd.4m3d
Phone - 443-450-4633

Newsletter - Subscribe - Free model every issue

baz

Re: Ribbon - Instructions and G-code

Post by baz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Todd, this is great. I cant wait to try it.

Regards

Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Very helpful, Todd, thank you!

Tom

MarkoDiMarko

Post by MarkoDiMarko » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Thank you Todd for all the great work. I've watched the videos too and they are really informative. I'm currently waiting for my 60 degrees cutter to arrive before I start cutting.
One last thing. I'm quite surprised to find that I'm not the only one using Grbl controller to adjust the machine and gcode sender to send the code. I've too had problems with Grbl controller for running the code and it's good to confirm that it was not my imagination or my fault.
Thanx again.

Todd Bailey

Post by Todd Bailey » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

No Problem...

Let me know how it goes and if I can make the instructions easier.

Looking forward to the feedback!
--------------------------------------------
Todd Bailey and ShapeOko - 413
Owner and Creative Designer
4m3D Creative Design
http://www.4m3d.com
Skype Call - todd.4m3d
Phone - 443-450-4633

Newsletter - Subscribe - Free model every issue

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Sweet. Its going to be awhile before I can get to this but is anybody else seeing christmas presents for folks in this?? :-) Cant spend money on presents, spent it all on shapeoko haha. No seriously after I bust this out I am definitely going to be asking you the setup on getting you some paypal cash, cant afford much but I hopefully wouldnt be the only one into that, thanks.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

iconeo

Post by iconeo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Awesome! :lol: How much does artcam run for?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 am

how about a artcam tutorial? Would love one of those...
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE