cut up some 304 stainless steel today with my s3

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
JeromyReno

cut up some 304 stainless steel today with my s3

Post by JeromyReno » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:01 am

these are perches for some control levers on a motorcycle im building, they will get welded on and bearings pressed into the holes. they are 1/4" thick 304 stainless steel about 2.5" x 3" each. im still getting down a formula for cutting ss but im getting the best results so far from a 3/16 carbide bit. i cut the holes super fast like aluminum but the last cut where it goes threw the bottom gets wild and catches the blade throwing it off. so i cut it all fast then slow down on the penetration cut. i constantly lost my z height too, but it worked in the long run. cuts are like .015 doc for ruff cuts, then .01 doc for penetrating the circles, then .007 doc for the profile cut. if i pre drilled the circles i could tear threw them super fast. its just the downward cuts that get you.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: cut up some 304 stainless steel today with my s3

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:14 am

Why not cut the holes first, then put a washer on top and put a screw or bolt into the Wasteboard?

I put a couple of holes in, and secured the parts w/ suitable hardware, on the locking register calipers I did.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:50 am

WillAdams wrote:Why not cut the holes first, then put a washer on top and put a screw or bolt into the Wasteboard?

I put a couple of holes in, and secured the parts w/ suitable hardware, on the locking register calipers I did.

Yeah that would have probably been the best route. I originally just clamped down the part to do test cuts and it was going so well I just cut the whole part. I have never actually drilled any holes in my waste board. On purpose anyhow haha

Gamble

Post by Gamble » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:56 am

That looks pretty damn good. What spindle speed?
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Gamble wrote:That looks pretty damn good. What spindle speed?

I think in the end I went with full speed or maybe just a hair behind it. I use a laser thermometer most of the time to figure out if I'm heating the part to much but had forgot it at home. I had air blowing on it with oil also to lubricate and evacuate the chips. They where very tiny sharp chips but the coloration was perfect for cutting stainless, the chips where blazing hot but the part was just warm to the touch