Hybrid Project - Kids Kitchen Helper

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Will Winder

Hybrid Project - Kids Kitchen Helper

Post by Will Winder » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:53 pm

My 1 year old has been very interested by what goes on in the kitchen lately. There are a lot of these "Kitchen Helpers" on the market, but they're either too expensive, too ugly, or don't fold. The design is based on this photo I found online.

I've been pretty interested in how CNCs can be used to augment traditional woodworking. For this project the bulk of the work on this project was with traditional methods, but I was glad to have the CNC help with some of the pieces. I still need to build a platform to rest on the bottom rungs and put on coat of paint, but it's finally coming together.

It took about 10 minutes each to cut these out. I cut the other half of the tenons on the table saw and eased the edges with a router table.

These were made manually from some glued up stock. The flared foot was cut with a bandsaw. Mortises hogged out with a router table. Here it is ready to finish up the mortises with a sharp chisel.

Closeup, marked out where the top of the rails need to end up.

The first one took 12 minutes which was way too fast, the remaining 3 took about 25 minutes each.

It still needs a bit of wood filler here and there, a coat of paint and a platform to rest on the third rung.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

TonyB

Re: Hybrid Project - Kids Kitchen Helper

Post by TonyB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:32 pm

That's awesome!

It's clear you're a good father; to recognize your child's interest and support him or her in it.

I look forward to seeing the finished product!
MegaSquirted 62mm 7m @ 20psi on 91 octane
410whp/411ftlbs

Build Thread

ijv

Post by ijv » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:44 am

Cool!

For those of us who are lacking in the traditional carpentry skill department, you can use the "50 Digital Wood Joints" designs to CNC it all.
http://www.flexiblestream.org/project/5 ... ood-joints

With a small bit the dog bones on the inside corners are not really noticeable and even add to the look of the joint. Software like CamBam can even automatically add dog bones on inside corners.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:40 pm

ijv wrote:Cool!

For those of us who are lacking in the traditional carpentry skill department, you can use the "50 Digital Wood Joints" designs to CNC it all.
http://www.flexiblestream.org/project/5 ... ood-joints

With a small bit the dog bones on the inside corners are not really noticeable and even add to the look of the joint. Software like CamBam can even automatically add dog bones on inside corners.
I think it would be even easier than that - just cut the mortises with your CNC. I actually wish I had done it that way, the router table setup was really unusual with the flared feet on this project. The fancy feet are the only part that would be tricky, you'd need a really long endmill and a very precise setup. I glued up some smaller pieces of wood then cut them out all at once, that might need to be tweaked a little bit also.

Other than that you could do everything I used a power tool for with a sheet of sandpaper.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.