Recycled Art Challenge

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
Atonwa

Recycled Art Challenge

Post by Atonwa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:07 am

Thought I would share a project that I just completed last night. Not sure if there are any steampunk fans among us.

Our local Art Council, the County Library and The Habitat for Humanity ReStore (Recycling/Thrift Store) in our area teamed up to sponsor an art challenge. All items had to use no more than $50 in goods from the ReStore which we got for free and we could add no more than $50 in goods additional. The items will go on display at each location and then be auctioned off with the money being donated to the 3 organizations.

The end table is custom CNC'd from an old cabinet door, some old workbench legs, an old gear, and some wood I had on hand. The lamp is made from an old brass blowtorch, some iron pipe fittings, an old gate valve and an antique egg basket.

It was a lot of fun and I got to use a lot of new techniques to try to make it happen. Construction and inlays using the CNC are so much easier.

All lit up and on display in our local library:

Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

hatallica

Re: Recycled Art Challenge

Post by hatallica » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:13 pm

Very nice. Using the gear as an inlay gave me a few ideas for re-purposing some old hardware that might otherwise go in the recycling bin.

In the last picture - it is hard to tell - is than an Edison bulb? That would be a great finishing touch, even though it adds a few bucks to the "additional goods".
Shapeoko3 #1153

Atonwa

Re: Recycled Art Challenge

Post by Atonwa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad I could inspire someone else to repurpose old parts. I keep bins of "parts", metals, glass, wood, plastic/acrylic that I find in my travels through estate sales or thrift/recycle stores. When something like this comes along I always dig through to see what I have.

Good eye on the lamp, it is an edison bulb. Had to do it as it looks perfect in the lamp. It was the most costly individual piece of the whole thing.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001