Reindeer Wine Bottle Holder

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
fasteddy

Reindeer Wine Bottle Holder

Post by fasteddy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:39 pm

I meant to post this prior to Christmas, but I just didn't get around to it. Oh well, maybe someone can make use of it for next year.

Anyway, I'd seen similar designs floating around the interwebs, but I couldn't locate any CAD files to machine it. So this is my attempt at it using half inch stock (in this case red oak).
reindeer.jpg
reindeer.jpg (374.87 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
If you want to use my files, you may want to make a couple of changes. First, my slots are undersized (0.495") so that I could file them down to get a good friction fit. However, in retrospect I should've made it .498" to .499". There was still an awful lot of filing to do (you'll notice I didn't bother to make the pieces flush at bottom/top - looked fine as is IMO, and would've been more work than it was worth). I did this so they could knocked apart for storage, but if you were gluing them you wouldn't need to worry about the joint being perfectly flush (in fact in that case the joint would be glue-starved, you'd probably want to go .501).

Also, I didn't realize how many different sizes/styles of wine bottles there are. The one I was using to model fit perfectly, but others don't sit in as well. You may want to lengthen/shorten the neck and/or body. And actually, now that I think about it, you may want to widen the gap between the antlers - some bottles have much wider necks than others.

Either way, if you're interested these files should serve as a good starting point.
Reindeer Wine Bottle Holder.dxf
(141.66 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

RobCee

Re: Reindeer Wine Bottle Holder

Post by RobCee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:26 pm

He-he, great job. What a fun project!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets