Shapeoko Mach3 profile

Discussion of Mach3 CNC control software

Shapeoko Mach3 profile

Postby stefonroman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Hello: I am about the pull the trigger and order my Shapeoko3. Is there a profile to put in the Mach3 file for Shapeoko?
stefonroman

Re: Shapeoko Mach3 profile

Postby roamin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 am

no, you need to run a parallel port controller or a usb based tb series controller.

i use a SOC Robotics GenY32 4-Axis Controller which is parallel and also has usb interface and they supply a mach3 plugin for using the usb port.

mach3 is parallel, mach4 focuses on using usb, but you need a controller that has a usb plugin / support.

i bought my machine as a toy for home, i work with cnc machines in the industrial industry and wanted something for home. but i also wanted mach3 therefor i bought a proper controller. i was using a GRBL controller and it was terrible. the control i have and speed i have now with my machine is 10x better then the stock controllers.

buy the machine, there great but if you want to use mach software, buy a controller that supports it.
roamin

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:05 pm

roamin wrote:i was using a GRBL controller and it was terrible.

Is that a comment about the particular controller and motor drivers, or about the GRBL software itself?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Postby roamin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:05 pm

@cvoinescu its based towards the controller itself, i had issues with mine with the axis not being very smooth, they would have micro jitter (if thats what you would call it) and it was not accurate as it would miss steps. i updated my board to the latest versions and so on. still had issues. i adjusted the current and so on, had ample cooling as i had a custom fan mount that i 3d printed running an 80mm fan over the IC's and heatsinks. just had no joy

i was recommended a geny32 and i got one for the right price from the person who supplied me my cnc machine. he also bought back my GRBL board and since changing to geny32 my machine has performed perfectly. time after time it does what i tell it. machine moves really fast with 100% accuracy.

as for software i was using chilli which is good for free, looks pretty but it just doesnt do it for me, mach3 is much better, but it costs money. machine control with mach3 is endless. but saying this i program and run 2 different 5 axis cnc routers as my work. big machines with 8 slot tool changers and so on. work bed size of 2000 x 2500. so i like all the various options and also the layout it has

@edwan i cant reply to your PM sorry, this site wont let me reply to you as i have not made enough posts (stupid) but as for the geny32 on a shapeoko 3 you will have no problems. the shapeoko 3 runs 4 wire nema stepper motors and thats what the geny32 uses. just supply it power, i use a 24v power supply. wire in your stepper motors and away you go pretty much.

geny32 can run mach3 or you can flash it with a modified version of grbl that suits the geny32. if you have any concerns you can email soc robotics (i have a few times myself) and they will get back to you with answers.

heres the manual for the geny32 with all the details you need
http://www.soc-robotics.com/pdfs/GenY32%20Technical%20Reference%20Manual.pdf
roamin

Postby ChetR » Wed May 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Roamin!
I'm planning on getting Shapeoko 3 within the next day or two...
Would you be able to send me a block diagram of your GenY32 hookup for Mach3?
(ancr@centurytel.net)
The GenY32 manual appears to imply that the board itself must be programmed....
Did I misunderstand this?
Since you're a satisfied user, I'd really appreciate knowing how you did your hookup.
Cordially,
ChetR
ChetR

Return to Mach3