Need to reverse one Y axis for dual setup

Discussion of Mach3 CNC control software
Christine88

Need to reverse one Y axis for dual setup

Post by Christine88 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:32 am

Ok so I FINALLY got my controller board built consisting of an X ,Y1, Y2, Z axis and all seem to work well under test. Now since I'm running a dual Y axis on the Shapeoko 2 I need to reverse one stepper. Can I do this in Mach 3 or am I going to have to reverse wires? I looked through all the Mach 3 screens but I didn't see the option. Could it be in ports and pins?

Improbable Construct

Re: Need to reverse one Y axis for dual setup

Post by Improbable Construct » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:02 am

The best/easiest way is to just switch one pair of wires on one motor.
Depending on how you have your motor drivers are set up, it may be possible to to it in mach3 but if you slave the A axis to the Y axis (the best way) then it won't work. Slaving the axis together will keep the same settings for both motors in the motor tuning tab.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:03 am

If your two Y drivers use separate STEP and DIR signals, you can almost certainly invert one in software. I know it can be done in LinuxCNC, so I am pretty confident it can be done in Mach3 too.

But if you have one STEP and one DIR connected to two drivers, you can't do it in software. You have to swap motor wires. (Even when using separate signals, I still find it easier to swap motor wires to get them to rotate in the right direction.) For a typical bipolar stepper with red, blue, green and black wires, swap, for instance, green and black.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:13 am

Improbable Construct wrote:[...] if you slave the A axis to the Y axis (the best way) then it won't work. Slaving the axis together will keep the same settings for both motors in the motor tuning tab.
In LinuxCNC, you can do it at the port pin mapping stage. Simply say that Y2 DIR is inverted and Y1 DIR is not. As far as LinuxCNC is concerned, the motor settings are the same, except for the pin mapping. I have no idea whether Mach3 does things the same way.

But, as both of us said, swapping motor wires is easy. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk