UC-100 confused

Discussion of Mach3 CNC control software
Christine88

UC-100 confused

Post by Christine88 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 am

I'm having no luck getting my Shapeoko 2 to home the dual Y axis using a UC100, C10 breakout, DRV8825s and Mach3 I have configured mach3 for dual Y. Its looking like the UC100 is not suitable for a dual axis setup. Am I right?

Damin69

Re: UC-100 confused

Post by Damin69 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:00 am

Isnt the UC-100 just a USB Parallel port replicator? I am pretty sure your Dual Y axis is all controlled through Mach 3. I do not have the UC-100 but I am running dual y axis drivers on Mach 3.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:06 am

Damin69 wrote:Isnt the UC-100 just a USB Parallel port replicator? I am pretty sure your Dual Y axis is all controlled through Mach 3. I do not have the UC-100 but I am running dual y axis drivers on Mach 3.
It's supose to be a motion controller but I think it's incompatible with a dual axis setup. Are you connected directly to the PC parallel port? That's what I may have to do. It's strange because I can jog all three axis with no issues as I have the A axis slaved to the Y in Mach 3

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:40 am

You could work around the whole thing by just using the Y signals from the UC100/C10 to control both Ydrivers. Mach3 would not be aware you had two drivers and two motors on the Y.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 am

cvoinescu wrote:You could work around the whole thing by just using the Y signals from the UC100/C10 to control both Ydrivers. Mach3 would not be aware you had two drivers and two motors on the Y.
Here's what the UC-100 support suggested.

"Christine,

Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in our products.

In Mach3 to make the master to home with the slave disable the slave axis's home input in the ports and pins, then they will move together when homing.

Best Regards,"

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Christine88 wrote:
Damin69 wrote:Isnt the UC-100 just a USB Parallel port replicator? I am pretty sure your Dual Y axis is all controlled through Mach 3. I do not have the UC-100 but I am running dual y axis drivers on Mach 3.
It's supose to be a motion controller but I think it's incompatible with a dual axis setup. Are you connected directly to the PC parallel port? That's what I may have to do. It's strange because I can jog all three axis with no issues as I have the A axis slaved to the Y in Mach 3
Yes I am running directly from a parallel port on an old system I had laying around.

Where I'm confused is if you can get it to jog in all directions with Mach3 where are you having the problem? Mach3 has to be sending the signal correctly through your UC-100 for it to jog the machine so Mach should then be able to send code correctly then also.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:53 pm

Damin69 wrote:
Christine88 wrote:
Yes I am running directly from a parallel port on an old system I had laying around.

Where I'm confused is if you can get it to jog in all directions with Mach3 where are you having the problem? Mach3 has to be sending the signal correctly through your UC-100 for it to jog the machine so Mach should then be able to send code correctly then also.
The problem is with homing the Y axis which the A axis is slaved to. Mach 3 wants to home one axis at time so it homes Z first with no problem but then tries to home the Y which is a dual servo system with one designated as Y and the other as A. Mach 3 doesn't know this during homing but does know this when jogging.

cambo3d

Post by cambo3d » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 pm

mach 3 is needs to be configured for it to home properly. do you have limit switches installed? it wont home without limit switches setup correctly.. i didn't see you mention that in previous posts or maybe i missed it.

also your home position needs to be setup so home position is front left, looking at the front of your machine.

I would recommend searching on cnczone vs this forum. I have build log of my bigger machine in there.. but there are plenty of people on that forum that can steer you in the right direction.
its been a while since i configured my machine, so i dont remember all the steps i went through.. but maybe the above will help.

im not familiar with uc100 (but i dont think it has anything to do with your problem). let me see if i can locate my configuration files..if I find them i'll surely post them for you.

edit:
just saw your other thread here http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5113.
did you have the limit switches in mach3 setup correctly.

here is a link to an example of how to setup limit switches. the settings should be similiar..http://www.cncrouterparts.com/proximity ... p-216.html

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 pm

cambo3d wrote:mach 3 is needs to be configured for it to home properly. do you have limit switches installed? it wont home without limit switches setup correctly.. i didn't see you mention that in previous posts or maybe i missed it.

also your home position needs to be setup so home position is front left, looking at the front of your machine.

I would recommend searching on cnczone vs this forum. I have build log of my bigger machine in there.. but there are plenty of people on that forum that can steer you in the right direction.
its been a while since i configured my machine, so i dont remember all the steps i went through.. but maybe the above will help.

im not familiar with uc100 (but i dont think it has anything to do with your problem). let me see if i can locate my configuration files..if I find them i'll surely post them for you.

edit:
just saw your other thread here http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5113.
did you have the limit switches in mach3 setup correctly.

here is a link to an example of how to setup limit switches. the settings should be similiar..http://www.cncrouterparts.com/proximity ... p-216.html
Actually I think I found the problem. I had Mach 3 in jog mode while running a homing cycle.
Apparently Mach 3 can't home a master slave axis configuration while in jog mode. It's a wonder
I figured that out since it was not at all obvious. But now with jog mode off the machine homes perfectly.