Help! My ShapeOKO is just sitting there and won't move

Discussion of Mach3 CNC control software
stargeezer

Help! My ShapeOKO is just sitting there and won't move

Post by stargeezer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello, I recently completed a Shapeoko build that I built up to the 1 meter size and have spent a few days trying to get Mach 3 to move the steppers.

So far I have - checked my wiring, at least three times from power supplies to spinal. I've reloaded the Mach 3 software twice and used the configuration steps outlined in the Mach 3 startup manual and watched the artsoft video's posted on youtube reproducing each step faithfully. The steppers will lock up but that is all they do and even that seems to happen without reason or rhyme. At no time have I been able to get the gantry to move under power.

Also, I'm a licensed owner of Mach 3, I'm convinced it's the best out there.

The computer is a 7 year old Dell I picked up and refurbed because it has the hard to find parallel port. It's loaded with Win 7 32 bit and nothing else at this point, a new 1 terabyte drive, 4 gig ram and a new CD drive. The port checks out as excellent, so I'm pretty certain the problem is not with the computer.

The Shapeoko is equiped with 4 425 in oz stepper motors I had on hand from another project. These are driven by 4 DQ542MA stepper drivers hooked to a breakout board I picked up on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/400860909457?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

If there's any more info you need to help me figure this out, feel free to ask, I'm running out of hair to pull out. :D :roll: :D

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Help! My ShapeOKO is just sitting there and won't move

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Can't help you w/ Mach 3 --- my suggestion would be to break things down and check each aspect of the machine and test in such a way as to eliminate false negatives --- just finished sorting out a non-moving motor on one of my machines which I was convinced was a bad motor, until I swapped things around and had the same behaviour --- turned out to be a too-tight/mis-aligned Delrin nut.

Here's a video which purports to show "how to test bipolar stepper motors without a driver circuit, power source, or multimeter":

http://youtu.be/VlLOfLwJHew
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:51 pm

What you describe seems to point to incorrect wiring between the breakout board and the motor drivers, or Mach3 configuration that does not match the pin assignments used by your breakout board -- although that's just a guess. Did that breakout board come with a manual? Can you share it? Can you show us how you wired the breakout board to the motor drivers? Did you connect the USB port of the breakout board to the PC too?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Hope that works. Trying to get a copy of the breakout board manual. I have the copy I printed, but can't find the cd right now.

All wiring has been checked and double checked. As you can see from the pic, all the wiring ties have been cut open so that I could trace the wires.

To explain the panel a bit, the 2 larger PS are 36v supplies that feed 2 of the steppers each, the upper small supply is a 5v unit for the breakout board, stepper controllers, relay board and some lighting. The PS under it is the 12v supply used for LEDs, fans, etc.

I discovered a short time ago that "Z" axis stepper is getting very, very hot, the "X" axis is stone cold and the 2 Y" steppers are slightly warm to the touch. The Z was so hot I thought I was going to get a blister on my hand where I'd grabbed it!

This is the breakout board I'm using http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Axis-Cnc-Brea ... 4584&rt=nc

Thanks again,
Larry

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:59 pm

After my last post I went back to the shop and started looking for the problem. I discovered that the motor tuning screen held many wrong values compared to what was listed in the manual and the breakout board instructions. After correcting these and resetting the computer I'm happy to report that the x and z axis are functioning. However the Y axis is still not responding in any affirmative manner. I suspect that the wiring block where I joined the left and right steppers may be misawired.

If this proves to be the case, it won't take long until I'm making chips.

In the mean time I'll say a hearty Thank You to those that have offered suggestions - they all made me look in the right direction.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:24 am

I'm glad you found some of the problems.

The very hot Z stepper is not a problem in itself, although you may want to dial down the current a little. It gets much hotter than the others, at the same current, because the others are mounted on large metal plates that act as heatsinks.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:48 am

Working or not, that's a beautiful electronics build stargeezer.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 am

CastIrony wrote:Working or not, that's a beautiful electronics build stargeezer.
Thanks friend. It looked a lot better before I cut all the wire loom apart to trace everything. :) Oh well.... :):) I hope to get things back in shape this weekend, but I might wait until I get the bugs all worked out.

The last thing I discovered a little while ago was that the Y axis steppers are not turning in sync with each other. The left side wants to go backward when the right side is trying to move to the front. It's got to be just crossed wires. After work tomorrow I hope it won't take much time at all to fix. I set the values in Motor tuning all the same (as a starting point) but even with the reversed motor direction it seems very anemic. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance as to how much of a increase to give the Y axis to accommodate two steppers?

Thanks agains folks,
Larry

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:59 am

Just swap one pair of wires going to one of the Y motors.