Considering using Mach3 with ShapeOko

Discussion of Mach3 CNC control software
Todd Bailey

Considering using Mach3 with ShapeOko

Post by Todd Bailey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Looking for some basic help.

I would like to use Mach3 with my ShapeOko... maybe?

I have taken a look around and found lots if info but it is a bit over my head.

What do I need, basically and is is a simple conversion?

Any help would be appreciated.
--------------------------------------------
Todd Bailey and ShapeOko - 413
Owner and Creative Designer
4m3D Creative Design
http://www.4m3d.com
Skype Call - todd.4m3d
Phone - 443-450-4633

Newsletter - Subscribe - Free model every issue

Improbable Construct

Re: Considering using Mach3 with ShapeOko

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I use Mach3. I think it's great. It is a bit pricey however.
I woul suggest that you try linuxCNC before buying Mach3.
LinuxCNC is free and if I had known about it before I bought Mach3 I would have tried it out.
That having been said:

Mach3 has trial software so you can try it out before buying. The trial will let you run up to 500 lines of g-code.
That will not get you very far on a 2.5D job or one with lots of circles but it will cut a lot of squares. :)
The biggest thing you have to think about with using Mach3 or LinuxCNC is that you have to have a computer with a parallel port. Old P4 desktops with XP work great.
I use a TB6560 controller I bought from eBay but there are other controller options.
Some questions:
Do you want to keep your current controller or get a different one?
Do you have a desktop with a parallel port? Can it be a dedicated computer?
What lead you to want to switch to Mach3?
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

jrsteensen

Post by jrsteensen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Once I finish my electronics for my Shapeoko, I will be more than willing to post all my Mach3 configuration files - I have a copy from when I ran a 3-axis mill I converted. Sold it a while back...and now going to buy an upgraded one once I finish my Shapeoko. Should really help me expand my shapeoko being able to mill my own parts - planning on Converting a Grizzly G0704 to CNC...want to put the turntable and a small (8-12 tool) ATC on it.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 pm

I use mach3 with my shapeoko 2 as well as my collection of other machines and I love it. You can check out the Mach forums for any specific questions. The only downside to mach is unless you want to spend a lot of money and spend a lot of time testings and calibrating you have to use it on a desktop with a parallel port. I just finished setting up my shapeoko with a mach usb pulse engine which took quite a bit of time. Im going to post details on it later.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control

Root

Post by Root » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Hello have new
information MACH3 USB.

ykornx

Post by ykornx » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi, i'm a newbie in the CNC machines. I want to buy Shapeoko 2 but what i don't understand is how does it work with the Mach3 software. Shapeoko 2 is with a USB connection to PC and the Mach 3 software uses Parallel port. How can i connect Shapeoko2 with Mach3 in this case?
Please give me some explanation about this question.
Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Mach 3 replaces the Micro controller:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... controller
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

tjshape

Post by tjshape » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:51 pm

ykornx wrote:Hi, i'm a newbie in the CNC machines. I want to buy Shapeoko 2 but what i don't understand is how does it work with the Mach3 software. Shapeoko 2 is with a USB connection to PC and the Mach 3 software uses Parallel port. How can i connect Shapeoko2 with Mach3 in this case?
Thanks!
Being a newbie to CNC as you've stated, is there a reason why you are considering jumping in with a Mach 3 controlling the Shapeoko over the more common arduino/gshield combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2, ACME upgrade, Belt Drive Z-Axis upgrade, Dewalt DW660

ykornx

Post by ykornx » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:56 am

tjshape wrote:
ykornx wrote:Hi, i'm a newbie in the CNC machines. I want to buy Shapeoko 2 but what i don't understand is how does it work with the Mach3 software. Shapeoko 2 is with a USB connection to PC and the Mach 3 software uses Parallel port. How can i connect Shapeoko2 with Mach3 in this case?
Thanks!
Being a newbie to CNC as you've stated, is there a reason why you are considering jumping in with a Mach 3 controlling the Shapeoko over the more common arduino/gshield combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for the answer. I wanted to know about the Mach3 because i thought that this is the best software for controlling CNC. So i don't want to use Mach3 if there is other possibilities. Which software can be used to control the Shapeoko2? I have read about linuxCNC - is it working with USB? And another question: Is the Universal G-code sender capable for controlling the Shapeoko2.

Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 am

Please see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Overview#Machine
It is able to move using [[Stepper Motors]] which are controlled by [[Stepper Drivers]] attached to a controlling system. In the past, this had to be a full-fledged computer system which ran a G-Code interpreter, attached via specialized hardware directly controlling the machine (e.g., Mach3 or LinuxCNC), instead a Shapeoko uses a [[Arduino|Microcontroller Microcontroller (an Arduino)]]) running [[Grbl] (a G-Code interpreter) attached to the machine via a [[gShield] and controlled by a computer system running a [[Communication / Control]] program such as [[Universal Gcode Sender]].
also http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets