CNC Cookbook features Shapeoko 3 and stuff on the forum

General Discussion about anything!

CNC Cookbook features Shapeoko 3 and stuff on the forum

Postby TomDChi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:46 pm

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2016/01/12/ ... e-capable/

Bob Warfield of GWizard (disclosure: I'm a happy user) put up a blog post titled "What's An Entry Level CNC Machine Capable Of?" Sentence terminating preposition aside, he uses the Shapeoko 3 and projects posted here on the forum as examples of how powerful "entry level CNC" can be.
TomDChi

Re: CNC Cookbook features Shapeoko 3 and stuff on the forum

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Good link.

There's nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition, unless you're a nineteenth-century prescriptivist. What else would you end that sentence with? (And don't say "Of What Is An Entry Level CNC Machine Capable?", because that's something I don't like the feel of.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Postby TomDChi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 pm

It certainly isn't an impediment to comprehensibility here, but I think that violating that "rule" is more of a signifier of formality vs. informality, and in that context, it sounded/felt clumsy and out of place to me.

Maybe: "How Capable Are Entry Level CNC Machines?" (Which also avoids most 'minor' words that trip things up with title capitalization.)

I tend to just entirely re-work the sentence when I realize I'm headed towards ending with a preposition and it doesn't seem appropriate in that context. So, "How else are you going to end a sentence?" or "What else are you going to use at the end of a sentence?" Not too "monocle, starched shirt and bizarre, rigid beliefs about social order that will lead to an entire generation of young men being butchered in trenches" 19th century sounding, right?

I do want to go on the record as being very much in favor of splitting infinitives when it's useful! Proper 'Murican (and it's minor sub-dialects like English) ain't no Romance language and never was! Yes, it is a great idea to boldly go.
TomDChi

Postby Brian Stone » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:24 pm

That's a really great article. I've seen a lot of those projects before on this forum, and I was surprised to find my puzzle box in there, too.

Maybe I'm overly critical of myself, but I never liked how the puzzle box turned out. It was an interesting project in terms of its complexity, but it was largely made out of scrap wood, and I didn't spend much time sanding and finishing the parts. If you see it up close, you can see all of the milling marks. I also ran out of wood mid-construction due to the number of milling mistakes that I was making (I was making more mistakes than parts at one point), so some parts in the box are actually milled on top of previous mistakes. Other mistakes are hidden under layers of parts. :D
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender
Brian Stone

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Brian Stone wrote:Maybe I'm overly critical of myself, but I never liked how the puzzle box turned out. It was an interesting project in terms of its complexity, but it was largely made out of scrap wood, and I didn't spend much time sanding and finishing the parts. If you see it up close, you can see all of the milling marks.

Your box looks very nice at low resolution :), and it's a great example of what you can do with a Shapeoko and some creativity. I'm not surprised it was included.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Postby Cro2laser » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:02 pm

How did you set the Gwizard up to work with the shapeokoe? I'mean trying find the Shapeoko e profile in the Gwizard 3.1 that I just bought. All I'very done my Shapeoko so far is the Hello World test.

Thank you very much for your help.
SO3
3D Touch 3D printer with DIY heated enclosure
Laser Cube engraver
TechShop DC member
Cro2laser

Postby twforeman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Cro2laser wrote:How did you set the Gwizard up to work with the shapeokoe? I'mean trying find the Shapeoko e profile in the Gwizard 3.1 that I just bought. All I'very done my Shapeoko so far is the Hello World test.

Thank you very much for your help.

I just downloaded GWizard and set it up. I'm still not sure how to use it yet.

If you click on the Setup tab there is a dropdown for the Machine type. There should be a couple of Shapeoko 3 entries in there.
Prusa i3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts
twforeman

Postby tek » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 pm

twforeman wrote:I just downloaded GWizard and set it up. I'm still not sure how to use it yet.

Well, I just started with it as well and have used it to recommend feeds and speeds for roughing and finishing passes. On Feeds/Speeds tab I select my material, make sure its Shapeoko DWP611 machine, setup my tool and decide on cut-depth, then I use the marker with Tortoise <-> Bunny to see what are recommended FS for roughing and finishing pass. So far, that worked out very well and I found it very useful. We'll see... I would love to hear from others how they use GWizard with SO3 as well...
tek

Postby twforeman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm

The settings I was getting for general machining seemed reasonable. Then I tried to get numbers for helical interpolation of a hole and they just felt off.

I need to to read about it or watch some tutorials or something.
Prusa i3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts
twforeman

Postby willieosgood » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 am

Hey TomDChi, I went through your post! It seems helpful yet with some clarifications. It would be a great help for our community that usually relies on the website https://drillly.com/best-cnc-routers/ as they need any information.
willieosgood

Return to Lounge