The Rules of Shapeoko

General Discussion about anything!
madmanmoe

Re: The Rules of Shapeoko

Post by madmanmoe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:53 pm

I've never run out of M5 washers. Maybe that's because cvoinescu anticipated the problem and threw in a bunch of extras.

I don't have any M5 hardware really, all my stock is M6, because that's what my last machine was based around.

Otherwise I agree with everything.
My sister very politely listened when I tried to explain to her why optically isolating the electronics was good. Now I've learnt to talk to my Dad, who actually is interested.
MadManMoe's Blog
eShapeoko #23 Dual Y, Dual X, Dremel 4000, Pololu a4988 steppers run from LinuxCNC

alpha

Post by alpha » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I did the Home Depot, Loews or Ace runs too, three weeks ago I found a commercial bolt store and now my rule is to only buy in boxes of 100 (as suggested on the forum).

I think I paid around $2 for 100 M5 washers...

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm

These are funny. Thanks for posting.

Rule #1 — You will run out of M5 washers.
- True story: Out of sheer frustration, I one time bought 10,000 M5 flat washers from Amazon. I now find them in the strangest places. Pockets, silverware drawers, in the couch cushions. Everywhere.

Rule #2 — No matter how much you talk about Rule #1, newbies will not believe it, and they will still run out of M5 washers.

Rule #3 — You will be surprised by the accuracy of the machine.
Rule #4 — You will be frustrated by the occasional inaccuracy and mystified as to how to correct it.
- You will never get bored watching the machine work. Frustrated, maybe. But never bored.

Rule #5 — You will be amazed (and embarrassed) at the places you will find little white flecks of HDPE (Corollary — dust collection is never good enough to satisfy one’s significant other).
- Regarding Shapeoko, not just dust collection, nothing is good enough to satisfy one's significant other.

Rule #6 — You will crash the gantry, dig the tool into the spoil board, and make noise which will annoy your neighbours.
- You will forget the machine is in inch mode and try to jog your z-axis down 5mm only to find your non-spining spindle diving into your newly purchased material

Rule #7 — No matter how cool your latest upgrade is, some significant person in your life will be bored by your talking about it.
- Look for eyes that are glazing over, and make note not to keep that person abreast of future upgrades / experiences with the machine.

Rule #8 — You will consciously choose to discount shipping from the cost of the machine due to the need to place multiple orders ’cause of that one little bit which you forgot to order the previous time.
- At some point you'll sleep easier if you just stop trying to account for all expenses related to the machine.

Rule #9 — There is always one more part which you need, one more run to the hardware store which must be made, one part out of stock at this store (but hopefully in stock at the next), one more upgrade which will make your machine perfect.
- This can not be overcome. You know you've gone wrong (or right) when they know your name at the hardware store and ask how your project is going.

Rule #10 — No matter how much you upgrade your machine, it is still a Shapeoko (and all upgrades to machines must be recorded in one’s signature line and documented in the wiki).
- I changed my signature to match the rules.

Rule #11 - nobody is a professional Shapeoko user.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

g2ktcf

Post by g2ktcf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 pm

madmanmoe wrote:I've never run out of M5 washers. Maybe that's because cvoinescu anticipated the problem and threw in a bunch of extras.

I don't have any M5 hardware really, all my stock is M6, because that's what my last machine was based around.

Otherwise I agree with everything.
My sister very politely listened when I tried to explain to her why optically isolating the electronics was good. Now I've learnt to talk to my Dad, who actually is interested.

okay...before you buy any hardware PERIOD....get a quote from the below.

info@acf-ny.com
Ask for Bob...Tell him Chris Foley at WLC Ventures sent you (he might remember me...lol)
866-573-0445

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 pm

WillAdams wrote: Rule #10 — No matter how much you upgrade your machine, it is still a Shapeoko (and all upgrades to machines must be recorded in one’s signature line and documented in the wiki).
William
Signature only allows for 255 characters.
Upgrades list wouldn't fit so I included an original parts list.
Also I rebuilt my stock Shapeoko out of replaced parts.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:22 am

If I may post a corrollary to rule 6:

IF you are half way through a 60 minute pocketing operation, you will forget to shut the steppers off before stopping the job, and they will drag the bit through your project before you remember.
1-2013-02-23 16.15.23.jpg
Argh!
1-2013-02-23 16.15.23.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
(grumble grumble grumble...now I need some walnut coloured putty.)

Tom

Sven83

Re: AW: The Rules of Shapeoko

Post by Sven83 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 am

that pocketing failure seems familiar to me :-) You could try to mix sawdust with clear woodglue to repair this (try on another piece of wood to see if you like the result before repairing the workpiece)
ShapeOko No. 283 | TB6560 + LinuxCNC or Buildlog v3 Shield + GRBL

phlamingo

Post by phlamingo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Concerning the glue-and-sawdust wood filling: Try Titebond Dark, since this is walnut.

If you are really desperate, you could also cut a tiny sliver of scrap walnut and glue it in place it at the top of your fill, like a hopefully-invisible inlay. Matching grain pattern and direction can be a bear, though.
---
ShapeOko Batch 2, Number 571, dual-Y motors, Y belts outside, odd anchors. Not operational at the moment: needs rewiring.

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 am

phlamingo wrote:Concerning the glue-and-sawdust wood filling: Try Titebond Dark, since this is walnut.

If you are really desperate, you could also cut a tiny sliver of scrap walnut and glue it in place it at the top of your fill, like a hopefully-invisible inlay. Matching grain pattern and direction can be a bear, though.
Thanks, but I had some driver stalls later in the project, so I am going to have to re-do it. On a side note, when the Y driver stalled, and the X did not, the 300w spindle I bought on eBay was able to chew a 7-8mm deep trench through the side of the piece, so that speaks well to the ability of these DC spindles to do some grunting :)
1-wrong_cut.jpg
1-wrong_cut.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
I also need to figure out how to do a finish cut properly with a ballnose bit...I can still see the lines.

Tom

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:18 am

Tom Smith wrote: I also need to figure out how to do a finish cut properly with a ballnose bit...I can still see the lines.
Tom
To get a nice finish with a ballnose you need to reduce your stepover to something like 10%. Maybe even less, depending on the material.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct