The Rules of Shapeoko

General Discussion about anything!
Tom Smith

Re: The Rules of Shapeoko

Post by Tom Smith » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Improbable Construct wrote: To get a nice finish with a ballnose you need to reduce your stepover to something like 10%. Maybe even less, depending on the material.
Great! Thanks, IC.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:12 am

galyion wrote:I repair xboxs and I use m5 washers on them so I already had a couple thousand laying around. There is a fastenal a quarter mile from my house and I can use my works account to get stuff cheap.
Fastenal is awesome, and also about a mile from my house. Looks like I need to stop by so that I can catch up on my apparent 1000+ M5 washer deficit that I am currently running.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Well, I've figured out one reason for Rule #1. Turns out there's an error in the B.O.M.

7 $0.02 SM-H03 100 Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors 25287-01 (qty. 10) M5 Flat Washer

Turns out the build instructions result in one needing 102:

Step Quantity
3 12
4 20
5 28
6 16
8 6
9 2
10 8
11 5
12 5
== 102 Total

(And Step 5 doesn't take into account using extra washers to set off the motor from the mount plate)

Probably the error results from the image in Assembly Step 8 failing to show the Belt Anchors and matching M5 washers and insertion nuts (note made in the wiki).

But is more likely the result of Step 9 listing only 2 washers, which should be 3, and which are optional.

So I think we've gotten this resolved, so long as Inventables tosses in a box of 100 and adds 3 (or more!) washers to each kit.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:53 am

Needed a laugh this morning (and one more part, an eyebolt I guess, to make up for an ever so slightly too-short belt).

Rule #1 — You will run out of M5 washers.
Rule #2 — No matter how much you talk about Rule #1, newbies will not believe it, and they will still run out of M5 washers.
Rule #3 — You will be surprised by the accuracy of the machine.
Rule #4 — You will be frustrated by the occasional inaccuracy and mystified as to how to correct it.
Rule #5 — You will be amazed (and embarrassed) at the places you will find little white flecks of HDPE (Corollary — dust collection is never good enough to satisfy one’s significant other).
Rule #6 — You will crash the gantry, dig the tool into the spoil board, and make noise which will annoy your neighbours.
Rule #7 — No matter how cool your latest upgrade or project is, some significant person in your life will be bored by your talking about it.
Rule #8 — You will consciously choose to discount shipping from the cost of the machine due to the need to place multiple orders ’cause of that one little bit which you forgot to order the previous time.
Rule #9 — There is always one more part which you need, one more run to the hardware store which must be made, one part out of stock at this store (but hopefully in stock at the next), one more upgrade which will make your machine perfect.
Rule #10 — No matter how much you upgrade your machine, it is still a Shapeoko (and all upgrades to machines must be recorded in one’s signature line and documented in the wiki).

Let me know if there's anything I forgot, or if a different ordering would be better / funnier.

William
You should post this to the T-shirt thread!

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed it!

I should up-date it w/ everyone's comments, then I guess put it on the wiki (suggestions on where?) explicitly licensed under Creative Commons so that people would feel free to reproduce it --- I've got a big freelance project I need to be working on, so will see what I can do after I'm done w/ that.

If anyone has any interest in typesetting, here's a similar bit on that:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Compariso ... g_programs
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

mmmmmick2011

Post by mmmmmick2011 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 pm

In my case, Rules 1,2,3,6,7 and 9 have already occurred, and I've had this thing only a week! Just waiting on the rest to come true, and I'd have to say the chances are pretty high!
Thanks for a good laugh.

chambrot

Post by chambrot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Can we add this to the list?

When you drop a washer / nut / screw / tool....98% of the time it bounces under the work table. :roll:
Custom ShapeOko using original design, 1000mm MakerSlide X Axis, Double 1000mm MakerSlide Y Axis, Nema 23 on all, upgraded Z Axis, Dremel 300, controlled by TinyG

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:21 pm

That's Anthony's Law of the Workshop ("Any tool, when dropped, will roll into the least accessible corner of the workshop"). Let's not plagiarize. :P
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I would if that were a situation unique to working on ShapeOkos, but it's a basic problem w/ all projects, and has been since man first put two things together to make something new --- Anthony's Law of the Workshop as Catalin noted. Reference here: http://www.boo.net/~jasonp/murphy

chambrot

Post by chambrot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Ah! Sorry I am new to the shop, ShapeOko is actually my first project. Graphic designer turned tinkerer, here.

Gotta look up Anthony's Law.
Custom ShapeOko using original design, 1000mm MakerSlide X Axis, Double 1000mm MakerSlide Y Axis, Nema 23 on all, upgraded Z Axis, Dremel 300, controlled by TinyG