Has Anyone Read "Makers" by Chris Anderson?

General Discussion about anything!
Althiels

Has Anyone Read "Makers" by Chris Anderson?

Post by Althiels » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:55 pm

I just finished listening to "makers" by Chris Anderson (I'm an audio book nerd) and was really inspired. It talks a lot about how the next manufacturing revolution will be home fabrication and talks about desktop CNC machines, 3D printers and such.

Anyone that has bought a shapeoko would enjoy the book immensely and be even more inspired, highly recommended!
Serial #: 1295, DW660 Router, TinyG controller, Dual Y Motors, ACME Z-Axis - First Cut - 2/19/2013

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Has Anyone Read "Makers" by Chris Anderson?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Yeah, for another (more science-fiction) take on this, look at Marshall Brain's novella _Manna_:

http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 pm

The local library was able to get a copy of Fab: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication by Neil Gershenfeld, which was quite interesting --- esp. for its mention of where pycam came from.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

Althiels

Post by Althiels » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Yeah, I have heard that is worth checking out. I did pick up Manna and read it. It definitely had some really interesting ideas, thanks for the recommendation!
Serial #: 1295, DW660 Router, TinyG controller, Dual Y Motors, ACME Z-Axis - First Cut - 2/19/2013

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed “Manna” --- I wish the writing on it was better, but I think that adds somewhat to its charm.

I added _Fab_ and _Makers_ to the Books page in the wiki --- can anyone think of anything else we should add?

I thought about adding the former, but decided it's not really on-topic (though I wish there were technology to put it on topic).

One thing I've been thinking about of late is what 21st century homesteading could look like w/ modern technology --- certainly my grandfather could've really used a ShapeOko in the CCC (Civil Conservation Corps) machine shop he was foreman of, and I wonder what Abraham Lincoln would've thought of it?

How much acreage / square area does one need to raise food to support a family? Square area becomes especially interesting if one put aquariums in the windows and used them to raise algae, seaweed, shrimp and tilapia (an interesting idea for a business would be to install such aquarium windows, then offer a service of re-stocking them when a small computer indicated more food (distributed by an automated system) was needed).

Hmm, turns out there's something of a page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_homesteading

rca

Post by rca » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm reading Makers right now and thoroughly enjoying it.