More CNC projects/plans?

General Discussion about anything!
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

More CNC projects/plans?

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Came across a pretty cool page on how combination locks work: http://woodgears.ca/combolock/

as well as a page on a parametric bench/table design: https://github.com/akaziuna/cnc-standin ... -workbench

for the http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... r_Projects section

Can anyone suggest anything else which would be interesting for that?

Or other specific things to search for for inclusion?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Nigel K Tolley

Re: More CNC projects/plans?

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 am

The combo lock is nice. I've actually 3D printed one along the same lines. Obviously great for showing people how they work.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Philip

Post by Philip » Wed May 14, 2014 1:54 pm

WillAdams wrote:as well as a page on a parametric bench/table design: https://github.com/akaziuna/cnc-standin ... -workbench
I like the table. It's basically a torsion box with legs, formed out of two 122x244 (4x8) sheets of plywood. With what's left you can add strips to make the tortion box stronger. Seems a good basis for a CNC mill.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu May 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Actually, no.

It's not a torsion box design. For that it requires that the bottom is sealed, too, and the top and bottom is fastened to the grid in the middle.

It doesn't have a strong 'box section'.
(Not strong enough for a torsion box design, at least)
It's also designed to be mounted together with screws.

It's a nice design, but can't replace a proper torsion box table.

It could also use drawers for storing mills and stuff, and maybe a shelf for stock material...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Gadgetman is correct, it's not a torsion box. It is a cool looking table though. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Philip

Post by Philip » Fri May 16, 2014 6:43 am

OK. Speaking about torsion boxes, the examples online show a grid made of many small planks glued together. Wouldn't it be better to use long planks over the full length and depth with slits that fit in to each other and glue those (not sure about the proper English terms, hope you know what I mean)?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri May 16, 2014 9:34 am

If you have a CNC router to make them, sure; otherwise, the small bits are easier to make, and just as strong.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Fri May 16, 2014 11:05 am

Philip, making a torsion box with interlocking notches is done but just running long boards in one direction and short pieces to form the grid is the norm. Using a CNC to make the notches would be difficult due to the length of the pieces. It is easy to make this type of notch on a table saw, radial arm saw or band saw. Cvoinescu, you are correct both ways make a very stable top, mostly due to the number of glue surfaces. I will be starting my table later this summer and will be using short pieces for the grid.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Philip

Post by Philip » Fri May 16, 2014 12:51 pm

cvoinescu wrote:If you have a CNC router to make them, sure;
Almost, although it seems I have to wait yet another week due to difficulties with the F608 bearings for the trapezoidal screws :D (I have no clue what F608 bearings or trapezoidal screws are but I am (I think) happy someone tackles the problem before I run into it)

@Woodworker: The problem is I only have a jig saw with which it's hard to get real smooth glue able surfaces. I was thinking that once I have a working CNC mill I can maybe mill long pieces in two stages. Which brings the discussion on topic again, for a torsion box seems a good CNC project.