Cutting Aluminum

General Discussion about anything!
philIam

Re: Cutting Aluminum

Post by philIam » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:28 pm

So ... screwing down your aluminum (atleast my 5052) is absolutelyt critical. The spindle isnt that strong so when its raised even by a few mm's it (for atleast me) was game ender. Just dived too deep and too much pressure.

My machine is just falling apart with vibration. Going to have to throw some vibration dampening nuts on from mcmaster carr.

spnash

Re: Cutting Aluminum

Post by spnash » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:53 pm

philIam,

Not sure if you've made any progress in the last 2 months but from watching your video I did see one potential concern. How are you handling chip removal? From the video it seems that you aren't removing the chips (small bits of aluminum). This can pose a serious problem especially for deep profile or pocket operations where the tool path is only as wide as the tool being used. If those chips aren't removed, the tool will become choked as the path gets deeper. I imagine that most of that noise (which sent chills up my neck) is a product of chips becoming wedged (momentarily) in between the tool and the side walls of the tool path.

If you can, try and mount some sort of vacuum as close to your spindle as safely possible. There are a number of threads about various rigs and methods for doing this.

Another issue that can arise from failing to remove chips from work area is the potential for aluminum shavings to find their way in to your electronics. If this happens, there is a high likelyhood that these chips will make electrical contact between components resulting in fried PCBs.

Hope this helps