Material Advice

General Discussion about anything!
philIam

Material Advice

Post by philIam » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:13 am

Hey,

I need a material that's easy to work with but strong enough not to flex or atleast rigid enough without the fragility of something like plexi.

My thought is some sort of strong 1/8" thick wood. Im using aluminum now but it's just miserable (aluminum 5052).

Doesnt have to be metal just strong enough that it won't flex with some minor tension placed on it. THANKS!

cvoinescu

Re: Material Advice

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Try Dibond, Alupanel or other aluminium-polyethylene-aluminium composites. They machine beautifully, they are lightweight and stiff, and they come in a variety of colors. They are typically 3 mm thick, but other thicknesses are sometimes available. What's even better, they are used to make signs -- so they are commonly available from sign shops in many parts of the world, who may be willing to sell or give away their scrap. Other uses include site hoarding (the walls around a construction site), and Bart Dring's 2.x laser cutter.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:03 pm

I've tried to mill Dibond with my shapeoko without much success. If I went slow enough to get through the aluminum layer I'd melt the plastic, fast enough to get through the plastic properly was too much to accurately cut the aluminum. It may be possible with the Makita spindle or similar, I'm not sure. I've gone back to a manual router with jigs where I can rip through in a single pass.

McMagical Eng.

Post by McMagical Eng. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

What is your application? There are a lot of materials out there... is this for a machine? Sign? bracket?
Shapeoko2 NEMA 17s, Custom aluminum baseboard, coroplast sideskirts, 300W quiet cut spindle, 3d printed enclosure, panel on/off, E-stop

"They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more." -Primer-

philIam

Post by philIam » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Using it for tank tread housing for a robot. the tension is considerable. ABS and all other normal plastics haven't "cut" it yet.

McMagical Eng.

Post by McMagical Eng. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Hmmm...

Hard woods might do the trick for that, though they will add considerable weight.
I would consider:

-Thinner aluminum sheeting, cut and drilled on the shapeoko, then bent and riveted into a monocoque design. Thinner aluminum is easy to cut and drill, and monocoque is crazy strong. Airplanes, boats, cars, and bridges have all employed this design. use lots of rivets!

-Carbon fiber plate, is more expensive but pretty darn awesome. If you only have a few places you need the support, Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than steel and your shapeoko should handle it with no problems. Wear a dust mask or have good venting, the epoxy dust is pretty rough on peoples lungs. These guys supply pre-made plates: http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=91 or you can always make your own! (see http://compositeenvisions.com/)

-Delrin, is a dense, strong plastic. It can be cut on the shapeoko (very nicely) and is rigid. It is commonly used to make gears, skid plates, machine frames etc... It machines better than ABS but keep in mind, as with any plastics, keep them cool while machining. Many shops will let Delrin settle over night or in a fridge after roughing to ensure it is stable before finish milling.

-Kevlar filled Nylon, is machinable and stronger than Delrin, it can have tensile strengths up to 17200 Psi.

-FR4, is a strong fiberglass composite generally used to make circuit boards. Depending on your size needs, it can be found at low-ish, with a nice copper covering on both sides...
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... ard-blanks
or bulk sourced larger http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-FR4-1-6mm-B ... 0789227293

Post pics of the tank project! Sounds pretty cool.
Cheers,
~Mc.Magical Eng.~
Shapeoko2 NEMA 17s, Custom aluminum baseboard, coroplast sideskirts, 300W quiet cut spindle, 3d printed enclosure, panel on/off, E-stop

"They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more." -Primer-

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:38 pm

The Inventables PCBs are FR1, which is phenolic impregnated paper, not FR4 (epoxy/fiberglass). They are much better for isolation milling, but not a good structural material.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

McMagical Eng.

Post by McMagical Eng. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 pm

cvoinescu wrote:The Inventables PCBs are FR1, which is phenolic impregnated paper, not FR4 (epoxy/fiberglass). They are much better for isolation milling, but not a good structural material.
Ah, thanks for the correction!
Also, I found a great link for a quadcopter project that someone did using FR4. He even posted download links and feeds and speeds.
https://github.com/UCSD-E4E/radio_colla ... Quadcopter

Nifty

philIam

Post by philIam » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:37 pm

This is awesome.
Thanks guys!