SALES / MAKING A LIVING

General Discussion about anything!
Little Hands

SALES / MAKING A LIVING

Post by Little Hands » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:40 am

Out of all the things that are made with the SO1 or SO2 machines (signs, parts, toys: Does anybody out there in the "big wide world" of mfg. make a living (maybe in part) with their Shapeoko CNC?? I ask the question because I mfg. product to sell (engraving, cribbage bd's, wood jars, wood dolls and some other really crazy stuff, etc). It's all about the dollar but just wanted to know if this was to be a hobby tool / toy.??? My SO2 is a producing "son-of-a-gun". My first Bosch Colt router just pooped (I have no idea how many hours that thing had on it, thousands, ask my wife?). I think I need another SO2 (I am dead)!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: SALES / MAKING A LIVING

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:53 am

There was a thread on Reddit about this recently: http://www.reddit.com/r/CNC/comments/2p ... _machines/

I.C. and twforeman both sell things on etsy and I've noticed a couple of other etsy shop links.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start making things for sale, but I always get caught up in some other project....and when I try to charge what I think is fair for things such as my archery case:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/75378

There are never any takers when it's time to lay the money down.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Little Hands

Post by Little Hands » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 am

Will, Do you cut your archery case(s) on your SO1 or SO2? I am big into archery, I live in Colorado "got elk"? I teach hunter education here in Colorado (archery is big) How much do they cost, Size and spec's?

I find that in order to make the perfect product it takes many proto-types......! Once you start selling your proto-types you are in, the final product.....! I see most folk's try one or two pc's and quit, one of something is never perfect......! Perfect stuff sells. Your price point will come, start high and stick to your guns or arrows ($$$$.$$).

Little Hands

Post by Little Hands » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:47 am

Just a few photos of product we sell here at "Little Hands". The sky is the limit...... All of this produced on the modified SO2.
Attachments
cribbage 301.JPG
cribbage 301.JPG (117.21 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
wine rack 1.JPG
wine rack 1.JPG (144.1 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
jars 1.JPG
jars 1.JPG (114.96 KiB) Viewed 2034 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:25 am

The archery case was priced @ $400. The brass hardware alone costs ~$100, (guess I'll need to check again) and I had problems w/ availability, so couldn't commit to a case until I had it in hand. I tried charging half down in advance, but people would be really interested until it was time to make that payment and somehow never send it, despite never having any qualms about the quality of the sample case when seen in person.

The first two were prototypes (the photo shown is the second which I'm currently using, the first my son uses) and the only thing which will be changed in the final production version is that the dividers will be left out, and there will be a single boxed compartment beneath the fletching. The two prototypes were done by hand, w/ hand-cut dovetails. I've been planning to at least cut out the arrow holder on the Shapeoko. Cases have to be custom and are sized around an archer's arrows.

Like I said, I'll probably try again in the new year.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi Will, I've been making "stuff from wood" for about 10 years, part time. This was my first year full time as I retired last year. It is a slow process to get established and get get customers. You case looks superb and the brass really stands out. Not sure how you advertise but you should have a web site, Pinterest, Facebook... For a start. Pricing the work is not easy, I now keep track of the actual time to build and try to make $15 an hour plus all the material. In the beginning I was lucky to be getting $1.50 an hour. ;-) You might also try a low end case with finger joints, Rockler hardware and a less elaborate interior. It helps to have a clientele to spread the word, it is very hard to cold sell high end items.

Please don't take this the wrong way but none of my customers can tell the difference between a hand cut dovetail and a butt joint. They are all technically oriented and not woodworkers or collectors. I am guessing, since I am not an archer and don't know any, that archers may not know about hand tool making of wooden items. Hand cut dovetails take time, beautiful wood is expensive, as is solid brass. You may have to do some research to find out what is important to your potential customers and mabe even as to what is a their idea of a fair price.

Will how long have you been an archer? Is the case for storage or transport? What is the wood and finish? I make everything from earrings to king sized headboards and the hardest part is finding the right customers and the right price point. Keep making them and showing them as after as you can, word gets around.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks. Fortunately, the brass has for the most part tarnished a bit w/ use, so it's not so glittery now, save for the stay chain (it's lacquered brass and doesn't get much wear).

I've been shooting bows since I was six years old or so --- got my first "real" bow, a Bear Archery Little Bear, for Christmas when I was 10. I use the case for both storage and transportation. The wood is ebonized red oak sprayed w/ a lacquer and waxed. More details on the Lumberjocks site link. The first prototype was done on the cheap, and I'm not that wild about it. It's fine for my son to knock around w/, but I don't want it seen as anything other than a first attempt.

Every time I look at this aspect of things, I regret buying a Shapeoko instead of a Bridge City Tools Jointmaker Pro.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Little Hands wrote:Just a few photos of product we sell here at "Little Hands". The sky is the limit...... All of this produced on the modified SO2.
Lovely products, very impressive!

I don't make anything for sale using the Shapeoko -- not yet, at least -- but I make and sell a Shapeoko clone. Does that count? (Also, I'm not exactly making a living out of it. I still have my day job.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Little Hands

Post by Little Hands » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:26 pm

My next adventure "fly box(s)". A local fiy shop asked me to make him a few, so here we go. After making (6) proto-types I have perfected my skills & designs, these bad boys are ready for production.
- Spec's: 3" x 4 1/2" (mortised hinges & drilled mag. holes with 1/8"dia cutter & pocketing/cut-out with 1/4"dia. cutter.
- Hardware: (2) 5/8" x 3/4" brass or stainless but hinges, (2) 1/4"dia rear earth magnets & Mill Stream ripple foam.
- Materials: random width & random species of glued-up lumber. My favorite material is Alaskan Yellow Cedar, the cedar cuts so nice/easy, very kind to my
cutters and is very pretty.....!
Attachments
flybox 3.JPG
flybox 3.JPG (148.78 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
flybox 2.JPG
flybox 2.JPG (120.16 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
flybox  4.JPG
flybox 4.JPG (106.2 KiB) Viewed 1877 times

ralston4

Post by ralston4 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:03 pm

I've been creating carving patterns for a couple years now for a few guys who make military plaques out of wood. They have me recreate medals emblems and patches guns planes and ships among other things. They must be doing pretty well since they keep coming back for more.