A suddenly requested poll — internet in the shop

General Discussion about anything!

Is internet access available in your shop for use by the computer controlling your ShapeOko?

Yes, and I don’t mind having it connected and I use it for directly controlling the machine (Easel, ChiliPeppr, &c.)
38%
Yes, but I choose not to use it for directly controlling the machine, but use it for other things (remote access to the machine, web browsing, &c.)
46%
Yes, but I choose not to use it at all
5%
No, and I will not make it available
6%
No, but I plan to make it available
4%

Total votes: 95

twforeman

Re: A suddenly requested poll — internet in the shop

Post by twforeman » Mon May 11, 2015 6:03 pm

My shop is in my basement and the WiFi from upstairs works pretty well down there.

I do design work upstairs and in the basement and use Dropbox to sync the files from machine to machine.

I use UGS to control my Shapeoko and would probably not use anything that requires internet access.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Wed May 13, 2015 1:04 pm

My shop is in my garage which is in my back yard. The WiFi barely reaches but it does work. I also use dropbox to sync files. I have an old Windows Vista (older than 5 years) laptop that still works ok that's hooked up to my SO2.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

BArnold

Post by BArnold » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 am

My shop computer controls my S2 and I use it routinely for Internet access and other things while my CNC is running. I have a wireless router in our home office; security is setup well on it. Our office computer is connected via Ethernet to the router; shop is wifi. I leave my office and shop computer on all the time and have had no problems. I also have a laptop that I use off and on during the day, but shut it down at night. I'm contemplating getting a tablet to dedicate to my CNC mainly for convenience in jogging, etc.
ShapeOko2 with Custom 660mm Y-axis, 1500mm X-axis, ArduinoUno/gShield/grbl 0.9j
Two NEMA 23 on X-axis, one NEMA 23 on Y-axis, NEMA 23/belt drive on Z-axis
DeWalt DWP611 Router
VCarve Desktop, UGS, SketchUp, PhotoVCarve

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 pm

I do my design in the house using a desktop, then save all the files on my FreeNAS server. Then go out to my shed and use my Win7 laptop to run the Carbide Motion to control my SO3. I can grab any file I have ever made on any of my computers in the house and use it since all my computers have access to the FreeNAS share.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

dave_the_nerd

Post by dave_the_nerd » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:28 pm

The "shop" is the garage, which is directly below the room where the router/WAP is, so the signal is excellent. I prep files in the house, scp them to the netbook I use to control the gShield with UGS. When I need something simple, though, I've been known to just make it in makercam on the netbook.

I also find myself often having to google gCode commands I can't remember.

I'll often surf reddit or something while waiting for runs to complete, but don't want to leave the machine alone.
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

Shook

Post by Shook » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:38 am

Add me to the list of folks who design in the house and push files to the computer controlling the machine via network ( RASPI shared folder via SAMBA). My garage is to cold for CAD.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:01 am

I picked up a cheap laptop for a dedicated S03 PC. I design the job up in the (warm) house, and then take the laptop down to my attached shop/garage where the S03 lives.

(When we were first married my wife had the crazy notion of parking cars in the shop! Can you imagine? Where would I put my tools?)

The PC can pick up the house WiFi signal with no problems, so I sometimes surf the web whilst waiting for a job to finish.
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC