A perfect Father’s Day present

General Discussion about anything!
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

A perfect Father’s Day present

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 08, 2015 2:25 am

Here: http://lostartpress.com/products/virtuoso

Virtuoso: The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

clockit

Re: A perfect Father’s Day present

Post by clockit » Fri May 08, 2015 3:25 am

Will, what's your wife's email address? I'll make sure that she gets a hint, lol... :D
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 08, 2015 10:42 am

’s alright, no need for that. I didn’t post the mention here ’til I’d made certain an order for my copy had been placed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri May 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Ah yes, the Studley tool cabinet.

Oh, neat! A book about it!
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Not just about the cabinet:

- the tools (and their edges and how they were sharpened)
- the workbench
- the vises
- the guy who used it all (and made the cabinet and workbench and customized many of the tools)

I managed to make a fairly useful small box which contains some of my smaller woodworking tools --- enough to do small-scale work (w/ the addition of a couple of clamps) when on vacation --- things fit into it fairly nicely, but I'll eventually (I hope) manage an arrangement as elegant as Studley achieved.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 24, 2015 4:15 am

Turns out to not be so perfect after all:

If typography doesn’t interest you, please skip all of the following save for the last paragraph. Thanks.

Hopefully, someone at Lost Arts Press will take the following as constructive criticism:

Orphans: pgs. 4, 5, 32, 40, 52, 55, 60, 189, 194 (also an atrocious break (...ev-//er-new...)

page bottoms are ragged / not flush, so no reason for such, similarly, no formal grid, so it’s bizarre that they put the first line of a paragraph above two images on pg. 62, then continue the paragraph below them. Similarly on pg. 80, identifying head for Center Gauge appears vertically high than the matching photo, while the same for Drill gauge is pushed down below (on pg. 86 the same elements are consistent — heads are higher than matching photographs, but on the facing pg. 87 they’re inconsistent again). Lots of trapped white space throughout (e.g., pg. 106).

Bad breaks: pg. 27 top (...compa-ny logo.¶), pg. 33 (hyphenated a 2 line paragraph), pg. 76 (... “Russell Jen-nings.”¶), pg. 155, last line of second paragraph is (was.”), pg. 192 (...an ev-//er-flowing...), pg. 193 (...many of//us). The index formatting is beyond bad — I’m fairly certain it’s InDesign’s defaults w/ no adjustments and set in two too-narrow columns. It also ends on a short page, just 7 lines in a single column, almost over-whelmed by the furniture (book title and folio in the upper left corner of versos).

Also fractions are set as shilling style: 1/8" (pg. 56), w/ a hyphen if after a whole number (pg. 59), a lowercase “x” is used to indicate dimensions rather than the proper symbol, × (pg. 57)

It’s really a shame that the micro typography couldn’t be as perfect as the text, the photography, or the tool chest which is the subject of the book.

William

P.S. Remember, if you truly hate someone, teach them how to recognize bad kerning: http://xkcd.com/1015/ It’s days such as this when I really hate this new-fangled modern age.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:47 pm

A couple of out-and-out errors:

- Copyright line should be: © Or Copyright YYYY claimant redundant to have both.
- T.O.C. has Photography Credits, but that section is Image Credits
- Pg. 19 ― “… were within [an] easy walk…”
- Pg. 45 ― “…when it [was] just the cabinet…”
- Pg. 48 ― “The maelstrom of mail _led_ Peter…” (you have lead)
- pg. 77 missing space after the word include
- repeated the photo of the Flat pliers (pg. 142) where should have had the photo of two pairs of jeweler’s pliers (pg. 70)
- how is Sandor’s surname spelled? It’s Nagyszalanczy in the text on pg. 44, but Nagyszalanczky in the photo caption on that same page.

Someone else pointed out: 52: “…even the apparently modest front of the closed Studley cabinet belies the QUALIY”

Lots of things which could’ve been in the index, but are not.

I believe photos are supposed to be indicated in the index by italics, but that’s hard to tell ’cause of the font and they didn’t indicate if so.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 pm

I've seen "Copyright © YYYY claimant" (with and without a space between the © and the year) almost universally. The © at the beginning looks weird.

It's Nagyszalanczy, of course. It really sounds like they skimped on proofreading. Anyone with a bit of sense would quadruple- and quintuple-check tricky Hungarian names.

The quote from page 52 may be doubly wrong. "Belie" is often used incorrectly -- I can't be sure without more context, but it seems they did it here too. It does not mean "reveal", "convey", "reflect", or anything like that. Unless the preceding text is about another misleading aspect of the cabinet, one that also makes it seem lower quality than it actually is, that fragment is wrong.

What's wrong with "The maelstrom of mail led Peter..."? What's the rest of the sentence?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:33 am

cvoinescu wrote:I've seen "Copyright © YYYY claimant" (with and without a space between the © and the year) almost universally. The © at the beginning looks weird.
Take it up w/ the U.S. copyright office: http://copyright.gov/title17/92chap4.html

I guess some html formatting got lost, I meant that it's redundant and they should have one or the other.
It's Nagyszalanczy, of course. It really sounds like they skimped on proofreading. Anyone with a bit of sense would quadruple- and quintuple-check tricky Hungarian names.
Agreed.
The quote from page 52 may be doubly wrong. "Belie" is often used incorrectly -- I can't be sure without more context, but it seems they did it here too. It does not mean "reveal", "convey", "reflect", or anything like that. Unless the preceding text is about another misleading aspect of the cabinet, one that also makes it seem lower quality than it actually is, that fragment is wrong.?
That’s the usage they mean I guess: “Though not ostentatious, even the apparently modest front of the closed Studley cabinet belies the quality of its design expression and fabrication techniques.”
What's wrong with "The maelstrom of mail led Peter..."? What's the rest of the sentence?
They had lead

Oh well, guess I'll go back to reading Dr. Donald Knuth's books. While I've gotten a reward check, I still need to get an account w/ the Bank of the Island of San Serriffe.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:08 am

It may be that other jurisdictions require the word Copyright, and yet others the © symbol specifically, or maybe give the choice between © and a word in another language; I don't know. It just seems that that usage is widespread. Three random books I pulled from my shelf had "Copyright © 201x The Author" or "Copyright © 201x by The Author". That includes a valid notice of copyright according to the US Copyright Office: everything after the word "Copyright". (Notably, one of them was "Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie, "Copyright © 2013 by Ann Leckie", which I recommend.)
WillAdams wrote:
cvoinescu wrote:The quote from page 52 may be doubly wrong. "Belie" is often used incorrectly -- I can't be sure without more context, but it seems they did it here too. It does not mean "reveal", "convey", "reflect", or anything like that. Unless the preceding text is about another misleading aspect of the cabinet, one that also makes it seem lower quality than it actually is, that fragment is wrong.
That’s the usage they mean I guess: “Though not ostentatious, even the apparently modest front of the closed Studley cabinet belies the quality of its design expression and fabrication techniques.”
That's clearly wrong. It means exactly the opposite. But you misspelled the misspelling of "quality" by spelling it right this time.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk