IRC Channel

General Discussion about anything!
kerrycorcoran

IRC Channel

Post by kerrycorcoran » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Can someone tell me why there isn't an active IRC Channel for the Shapeoko users? I found a channel on freenode #shapeoko, but no one is there. I would think this would be a HUG help to build the community.

Any ideas?

cvoinescu

Re: IRC Channel

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:12 am

I think it's because people who are knowledgeable and helpful don't have time to hang around on IRC. On the forum, they can check for new posts at their leisure, and answer if they can and when they have the time.

I agree that the realtime aspect of IRC would be convenient for people seeking help. The non-realtime aspect of the forum is more conductive to actually getting that help, though, because it's more convenient for the volunteer helpers. (IRC would probably work very nicely if there were paid employees "manning the phones" there.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kerrycorcoran

Re: IRC Channel

Post by kerrycorcoran » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:17 am

Hmm, I have a different take on IRC. I am actually actively involved in multiple IRC Channels, although I agree it depends on your availability to be near a computer.

As for 'manned phones' so to speak, I don't think it needs to be anyone specific, but rather driven solely by the passion of those helping to build the community.

Hopefully it'll take off someday...