So... is this forum going to be shut down?

General Discussion about anything!
CalebPeters

So... is this forum going to be shut down?

Post by CalebPeters » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:37 pm

Just noticed that the forum button on the shapeoko.com front page sends you to carbide 3d's community forum, and not to this forum. I feel like this forum and the wiki are becoming obscure and difficult to access.

I thought it was weird enough when the wiki link disappeared from the top of the forum pages, but this seems... Well, it just seems like an odd choice if it was intentional. Perhaps it was done on accident?

Not trying to complain here I'm just very curious.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

Gamble

Re: So... is this forum going to be shut down?

Post by Gamble » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 am

I don't like the layout of that other forum. I have noticed that traffic has slowed down a lot here.
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

xfredericox

Post by xfredericox » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:32 am

yes it really has slowed down.

The other layout takes some getting used to. I feel the inventables forum is much better organized in comparison to the carbide 3D one, even though its the same layout
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:55 am

I've noticed traffic slowing down on a number of sites. I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of traffic. It is summer and people are busy, maybe taking vacations, spending time outdoors?

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:57 pm

LTEPM wrote:I've noticed traffic slowing down on a number of sites. I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of traffic. It is summer and people are busy, maybe taking vacations, spending time outdoors?
Summer certainly plays an effect on the traffic of a forum like this one, but less traffic coming here currently is not my concern.

If it turns out that the powers that be are trying to quietly shutter this forum because it doesn't serve a purpose for them any longer, than I have a problem with how it's going down.

Severing all landing/home page links to this forum would seem an expressway to go about accomplishing this.

RIP Project Shapeoko... Long live product shapeoko.

:D Sorry, I'm being overly dramatic here, but I would at least appreciate an explanation from the top.

Have a great Father's Day everyone,
Caleb
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 pm

This forum and the wiki currently run on my hardware. I have not heard anything about plans to shut it down.

There is a large collection of useful CNC knowledge in this forum and on the wiki which it would be a shame to lose.

If talk starts up about shutting it down I will do my best to negotiate keeping it up under a new name/domain just to keep the knowledge base intact.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Since the content on the wiki is CC-licensed, there's no problem in anyone copying it (w/ suitable attribution) and further improving or up-dating it.

Worst-case is we could do a mass-migration of the content from the wiki to https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hobbyist_CNC_Machining

I'd rather see the wiki preserved as-is, or moved to some sort of product-agnostic domain, esp. if twforeman could continue to host / administer the site --- but that would depend on someone being able to work out how to manage the finances.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:28 pm

@twforeman That's good to hear, thanks!

@WillAdams I would also prefer to see the wiki be preserved as it is currently. A product-agnostic domain sounds like a pretty nice idea too.

Also, if there comes a time when the site needs money, or help developing for the website/forum just let me know and I'll pitch in.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm

There are no finances involved other than the domain registration. I host this site on my server for free and am happy to continue to do so either under the Shapeoko domain or another one if it comes down to it.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Sounds as if we're good to go, w/ just the minor hurdle, if it comes to it, of coming up w/ a domain name, registering it, and ensuring it stays paid up.

Of course, one problem is all the good domain names are taken (or being squatted).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets