Curious what other folks are using for workbenches

General Discussion about anything!
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Curious what other folks are using for workbenches

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:08 pm

For a long while now I've been contemplating finding room for a woodworking-specific workbench. Have been considering "The Milkman's Bench": http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workb ... -workbench and went so far as to buy that issue of Popular Woodworking and draw up my own version.

Not having luck finding time for that though, but need something more useful than the Workmate clone to break stock down w/, so have been considering alternatives.

Have pretty much worked up a clone of the Mikman's bench which:

- uses pieces from the hardware store
- is pretty much boot-strapped using said clamps and some basic tools
- should be quite inexpensive to build

and was curious if anyone else was in a similar situation and would be interested in helping work out the kinks in this plan.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RobCee

Re: Curious what other folks are using for workbenches

Post by RobCee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm

My only thoughts are they you probably want something heavy for a woodworking bench, particularly if you plan on doing any hand planing.

I have a Festool MFT, which is great for most things, but a pain to do any planing on as it moves around far too easily. I built a sturdy framed (4x4 legs) workbench without vices for my SO2 which has a torsion box top and is definitely heavy!
92 Workbench Frame.jpg
4x4 workbench legs, 2x4 frame elements
92 Workbench Frame.jpg (197.52 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
My current plan is to do the same again with the addition of a solid top and a vice in it somewhere.

I did find the Chris Schwarz Workbenches book was extremely useful in seeing the various aspects of benches and how they fit with what I wanted.

Paul Sellers also has some useful YouTube videos on making a workbench.

Things to help while thinking about what you need:
Hand tools or power tools? For either you may be more comfortable with a different height, depending on your preference.
Do you want to clamp things to the front of it? Keeping the front face of the bench flat definitely helps with this.
Do you want to have an inset vice or a face vice (or both)?
Aprons on the front can be useful, or can get in the way of some clamping styles.
A tool well in the top can be helpful, or collect a lot of clutter.
Split top Roubo style benches are fairly popular in some circles. (TheWoodWhisperer does some good plans for this style)

Good luck!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm

My workbench is made out of a stack of 2x3" planks glued and nailed together to form a 3x8" block, a 1x4" piece, another 3x4"(2 2x3" planks) and pieces of 2x3 at the ends. Then it was all hinged onto the wall of my garage...
Looks ugly, but it works for me, and takes up a minimum of space when I don't need it.

Do look at drawings of workbenches others have built, but first think about what you plan to use it for.
Function dictates form.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Or, maybe I'll try something like this:

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/woo ... ing-bench/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

JayGee

Post by JayGee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:58 pm

IF you haven't gotten around to building your workbench I have a PDF file I'll send to you if you eMail me.
OR, you can look for it on the Internet with: "Knockdown English Workbench"
I have had the wood lalying on my garage floor for building one of these for far too long now, but, my garage is slowly getting cleaned up.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 am

Javery6

Post by Javery6 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:43 am

Nice blog attached. Just visited right now. :)

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:01 pm

My work bench is Made up of a 2x4 top. the legs are 4x4" posts and I tied them top and bottom with 2x4" braces. The Top has the 2x4's laid with-wise. I ran a slot down the length of each one. In the slot was glued a 1/2" wide strip of 1/4" plywood. The plywood works like a big biscuit without all the measuring and you know a biscuit cutter :D

The top is a bit under 8' long by 28-30" wide (I had to cut the 2x4" down a little so that the sides were straight and square) Had I to do all over. I would plan, or cut the 2x4's so they were all flat. Because after the glue up and the top was screwed to the legs. It took me something like 30-30 hours of hand planing (with large no.7 hand plane) sanding etc to get the top flat(ish). It's finished with 4-5 coats of thinned linseed oil. It's a workbench I wanted something that protected it from glue/ minor finish spills but didn't look bad beat up.

Normally I keep some paper on it so I don't get glue and finish on it. But right now it has the bits of disassembled Shapeoko2 on it. I'm in the middle of an upgrade.

I didn't make a drawing of this just built with stuff on hand at the time. If someone wants measurements or a drawing I can make one ... Just ask.

CBB

theputterguy54

Post by theputterguy54 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Hey Will, how are you my friend. It's me Bart, whom you've helped a ton with my own Shapeoko. Don't know how fancy you want to go on your workbench, but I just built a bench for myself that is super simple, and it works really nice for anything I've tried on it so far. I only have two vises in mine, an end/shoulder type, and a regular, but both have bench dog holes which make them work extremely well. I've attached a few pics if you're interested... I suppose you can go super fancy if you want, but I've been doing woodwork professionally since 1978, and the one in the pics is by far the best I've ever used, and didn't take very many man-hours to build. The toughest part was manhandling the weight of the bench itself, because it weighs more than a pool table, and trust me when I say, it doesn't move around.

I used my Shapeoko to make the jigs for routing all the mortises, jigs for the shape of the feet, and jigs for the bench dog holes.

I went cheap but heavy duty on the vises, WoodRiver brand from Woodcraft. I read reviews on these vises, and almost didn't go with them because their were some negative feedback, but I took a chance anyway, and they are fine and I recommend them. You just have to be patient and figure them out, once you've done that they are awesome vices, heavy and strong.

Let us all know what you decide and build, would love to see pics.

Bart Nordstrom
Attachments
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2169.jpeg (865.26 KiB) Viewed 549 times
IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2168.jpeg (993.5 KiB) Viewed 549 times
IMG_2167.jpeg
IMG_2167.jpeg (884.4 KiB) Viewed 549 times

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Bart,

That is a lovely bench Sir! looks like it's setup for hand work. It's going to give you many years of faithful service! (unlike my ex :D )

CBB