New guy here. Lots of questions

General Discussion about anything!
Grumpy_Jarhead

New guy here. Lots of questions

Post by Grumpy_Jarhead » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:55 am

Hello all, complete newbie to CNC so I have a lot of questions. I have been researching these machines for the last 3 weeks as well as all the add ons and extras that most people have to enhance their shop work.

Little about myself, I am a 40 year old dad who likes to keep busy. I am a Marine Corps veteran and just recently, started a small hobby/business making rustic wooden flags. I am currently having the stars carved out by someone else but that is about to stop soon as I just ordered the XXL the other day. I am really excited yet nervous at the same time. It is a big expense for me at the moment but I hope I can justify it with the ability to make my own stars in my own shop now. So, hope you all are sitting down as I have a lot of questions.

Laptop-----Can I pick up any windows based laptop under a couple hundred bucks? Will a touch screen make it easier to use the software? Id like to play with software in the house and then take it out to the shop and plug it into the CNC. Does connecting a monitor to it in the shop make things easier? I already have a 26" Vizio monitor here collecting dust.

Work Bench---- I plan on making a 48x48 bench in the corner of the shop for the XXL. Height of bench comes into play here as I don't know if a 36" bench top height will be comfortable when you're constantly leaning into it. How do you guys feel about the height of your CNC? Would you like it higher? Maybe 40" bench height? Im 5'9". What is the height of the wasteboard from the top of the bench?

Software----- I plan to use Create and Motion just to get me started but may purchase VCarve Desktop down the road. Will all these programs run on Windows? Laptop specs come into play here. My stars are currently carved with a V bit and I am told that Create and Motion WILL do the stars this way.

Dust collection----- I ordered the SuckIt Dust Boot kit. I own a Rigid 14 gallon 6 hp shop vac. I'd like to utilize this vac to start but have heard that the dust will clog up the filter really fast. How well do those dust deputies work? I don't mind building something as long as it allows me to use the shop vac for other things like cleaning vehicles in the driveway. I do plan on making an enclosure for it to keep noise down but this enclosure must allow me to easily remove the vacuum so I can transport around the shop as well as out to the garage.

Bits------- I have already ordered a Whiteside 1500 1/4" 90 degree V bit as well as a Whiteside 6210 wasteboard surfacing bit. Good bits are pricey and I'm ok with paying for good stuff. Is there any other bit(s) I should look into?

Collet(s)---- Dewalt router. Not happy about it but its all MatterHackers had. Is the supplied collet adequate for playing with wood or should I look into aftermarket ones? Or smaller/bigger ones?

Wasteboard----- I see some users using the one supplied with the kit and I see others adding another wasteboard on top of the original. Am I overlooking it or can I just buy a piece a 3/4" MDF and secure it to the original wasteboard, surface it and be done? This brings me to the next topic...

Clamping----- some users seem to have great success with double sided tape. My current material (project) will be a 14"x11" piece of 3/4" pine that I will be carving 50 stars into. Will a good double sided tape work for now or should I look into threaded inserts and clamps on the wasteboard?

E stop----- I plan on adding in an emergency stop button which I will wire into a power strip which will have the router and power supply plugged into it. Pretty straight forward???

touch probe------ Ive read a lot about these. Some say they are not needed if Im just carving wood. Id like to hear from you guys if this is something worth looking into and if I should buy the Carbide one or make my own. Im questioning how this is going to work with the SuckIt dust boot installed..

I may have missed a few things so I will update this thread as I gather more info from my relentless research. My head is about to explode!

Brad

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: New guy here. Lots of questions

Post by WillAdams » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Laptop --- I like the idea of a fanless (sealed) tablet --- the touch interface can be convenient, though many folks set up wired or wireless numeric keypads as pendants --- w/ one of those especially a large display would probably be a nice convenience. List of known working configurations at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... igurations

Workbench height depends on personal preference --- one consideration is if you're going to do joinery in the ends of boards how low the machine is will be a limiting factor (I had to cut off four all-thread rods 'cause of this) --- too high though and loading stock is awkward.

Software --- Carbide Create and Motion run on Windows or Mac OS X --- see http://community.carbide3d.com/t/creati ... ments/8787 for a tutorial on this sort of thing. Vectric's software is Windows only.

Dust collection --- I used a home-made dust cyclone for a while and it worked pretty well (could have used some more fiddling), but the noise from the inexpensive vacuum was too much for long cuts, so I bought a Festool CT Midi and an Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy. Problem solved.

Endmills --- notes on this at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... tarter_set

Collets --- there're precision collet options, see: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... s_and_Nuts and if you get a Makita: http://www.elairecorp.com/makitaroutercollets.html

Wasteboard --- yes, adding a 3/4" spoilboard is a valid option

Clamping --- lots of options on that. Official take at: https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/ ... rack-table and http://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/shapeoko-clamps/ / http://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/project-wasteboard/ --- there are entire books on workholding and a page at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Workholding

E stop --- yes.

Probe --- I find the new Carbide 3D Probe a wonderful convenience, but there are lots of options here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... view#Probe --- the Carbide 3D Probe should be back in stock by the end of the month barring further difficulties
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

stuarttaylor00

Re: New guy here. Lots of questions

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Brad,

Will has answered most of your questions, but I will just throw in my experience as there hasn't been a huge response

Laptop-----Can I pick up any windows based laptop under a couple hundred bucks? Will a touch screen make it easier to use the software? Id like to play with software in the house and then take it out to the shop and plug it into the CNC. Does connecting a monitor to it in the shop make things easier? I already have a 26" Vizio monitor here collecting dust.
yep, this is how I started out. look for a $300-400 laptop, this will run the software you mention. I have Vectric Aspire and it runs on my $200 desktop machine. I have since changed to having a desktop connected to the SO3 in the shed, and a powerful PC that stays in the house. I can create most projects in the shed, or anything longer is done inside and transferred on a USB stick. bigger screen will definitely be better, and touch screen would work well with CarbideMotion for sure

Work Bench---- I plan on making a 48x48 bench in the corner of the shop for the XXL. Height of bench comes into play here as I don't know if a 36" bench top height will be comfortable when you're constantly leaning into it. How do you guys feel about the height of your CNC? Would you like it higher? Maybe 40" bench height? Im 5'9". What is the height of the wasteboard from the top of the bench?
If you haven't already made it, I would go a little bigger than 48x48, I did around 52x52, just to give a bit of space around the machine. my bench is 36" and I am happy with it (I'm 5'10") I can't measure the height of the wasteboard from the bench as I'm away but I would say 2-3"

Software----- I plan to use Create and Motion just to get me started but may purchase VCarve Desktop down the road. Will all these programs run on Windows? Laptop specs come into play here. My stars are currently carved with a V bit and I am told that Create and Motion WILL do the stars this way.
Create and motion are a good start, youtube some tutorials on software called "Inkscape" - it is a vector design software that works well with Carbide Create. As I mentioned above I use Vectric Aspire (the big brother of Vcarve) which combines the vector design, 3d modelling and CAM into one software (as Vcarve does) I think the Carbide software is great but 80% of the time I use Aspire, the rest is Fusion360, which is a more 3d CAD-type of software. Very useful but a much steeper learning curve.

Dust collection----- I ordered the SuckIt Dust Boot kit. I own a Rigid 14 gallon 6 hp shop vac. I'd like to utilize this vac to start but have heard that the dust will clog up the filter really fast. How well do those dust deputies work? I don't mind building something as long as it allows me to use the shop vac for other things like cleaning vehicles in the driveway. I do plan on making an enclosure for it to keep noise down but this enclosure must allow me to easily remove the vacuum so I can transport around the shop as well as out to the garage.
Suckit dust boot was an excellent choice, I have one and love it. I use it with the Festool CT midi, and dust deputy https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Deputy-Delu ... B002GZLCHM which catches about 98% of the dust. My festool Vac has filters and bags, I have been running it for about a year and not needed to replace either. Look for a HEPA filter for your shop vac if it doesn't have one, otherwise you can end up with quite harmful fine wood dust in your shop (especially when milling MDF) just buy an extra Vac hose to go from Suckit > dust deputy, then you can just unplug your Shop Vac from the dust deputy to use it elsewhere

Bits------- I have already ordered a Whiteside 1500 1/4" 90 degree V bit as well as a Whiteside 6210 wasteboard surfacing bit. Good bits are pricey and I'm ok with paying for good stuff. Is there any other bit(s) I should look into? That's a good start, the shapeoko will also come with a 1/4 flat endmill and a 1/4 ballnose - these are both quite useful and good to keep a stock of. The Carbide3D endmills are of good quality and I am still using my original ones a few years on. A good source for endmills on Ebay is a store called "drillman1" - very high quality endmills at good prices.

Collet(s)---- Dewalt router. Not happy about it but its all MatterHackers had. Is the supplied collet adequate for playing with wood or should I look into aftermarket ones? Or smaller/bigger ones? I started with a makita router, now use a 1.5kw spindle and VFD I bought off ebay. The Dewalt is a good router, if you want more precision then a good collet will definitely help. check preceisebits for their range https://www.precisebits.com/gateways/Co ... tsHome.htm

Wasteboard----- I see some users using the one supplied with the kit and I see others adding another wasteboard on top of the original. Am I overlooking it or can I just buy a piece a 3/4" MDF and secure it to the original wasteboard, surface it and be done? This brings me to the next topic... I highly suggest a 3/4" sheet of mdf screwed into the original board. counter-bore the screws so you can tram/surface the new wasteboard flat. Also work out the exact cutting area that your machine can do, and make the new wasteboard that size, so you can tram the whole board flat

Clamping----- some users seem to have great success with double sided tape. My current material (project) will be a 14"x11" piece of 3/4" pine that I will be carving 50 stars into. Will a good double sided tape work for now or should I look into threaded inserts and clamps on the wasteboard? I haven't tried double sided tape, I'm sure it works well for some applications. I set up threaded inserts every 2". this worked very well for me, I have recently replaced the factory wasteboard with 1"plywood, then recessed spaces for t-track to sit. I now use T-track and clamps which i find gives me a bit more freedom/flexibility.

E stop----- I plan on adding in an emergency stop button which I will wire into a power strip which will have the router and power supply plugged into it. Pretty straight forward??? yeah this is a good way to go, i suggest having a switch on both the front of the bench, and by the computer if you can, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The Shapeoko board also has provision for an E-stop, but this will not stop the router spinning if you're just running it off a power strip. the way mine is wired up now will kill power to the spindle and the steppers

touch probe------ Ive read a lot about these. Some say they are not needed if Im just carving wood. Id like to hear from you guys if this is something worth looking into and if I should buy the Carbide one or make my own. Im questioning how this is going to work with the SuckIt dust boot installed.. I haven't installed one yet, I've heard good reports on the carbide3D probe and the Triquetta Probe. I just use the old paper under the endmill trick, it's probably less accurate and takes more time, but it works for me :) you can make your own with a piece of aluminium and some wiring, a bit of googling will help with details on that one. I slide the dustboot bottom off while i'm zeroing which is pretty quick and easy
Shapeoko 3 #1095 - Aluminium wasteboard, homing switches, Modified Z plate, Makita 700 router
Flashforge Dreamer Dual extruder 3D printer

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)