MakerCAM v Carbide Create

an open source, web based CAM package that works!

MakerCAM v Carbide Create

Postby GurneyHalleck » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I literally just noticed MakerCAM while browsing this forum.
Is it still usable? I notice no posts since November.
I have a few issues with Carbide Create, but it seems to produce useable G-Code.
What advantage does MakerCAM have over Carbide Create?
This is all in my mind right now......I just do what the voices tell me.
GurneyHalleck

Re: MakerCAM v Carbide Create

Postby WillAdams » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 am

MakerCAM's advantages:

- produces G2/G3 arcs
- drill feature
- Flash, so cross-platform, and a much smaller executable
- more capable Bézier curve tool

Carbide Create's advantages:

- doesn't require post-processing to shorted decimals
- local, stand-alone install
- V carving
- texture toolpaths
- 3D previewing
- support for ball-nosed endmills

It would be nice to get MakerCAM actively developed --- the idea would be for someone to port it to node.js or something similar.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby GurneyHalleck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 am

Thanks for the info.

Looks like MakerCAM is something I will be investigating further.

I wish I had the talents to develop something like MakerCAM. It's above my pay grade.
GurneyHalleck

Postby GurneyHalleck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Regarding G2/G3, I recently created a .svg file with a circle and an arc (half circle) surrounded by a rectangle.

I noticed that the G-Code Carbide Create produced lacked the G2/G3 commands. I was surprised, as it seems to me that the information to produce a valid G2 or G3 code string was included in the object parameters in the xml code.

I would love to look under the hood of makerCAM.
GurneyHalleck

Postby WillAdams » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Looks like there's a new MakerCAM: https://github.com/makercam

The Flash based program at makercam.com was forked from: https://github.com/Jack000/PartKAM and I don't think the source ever deviated much.

If you'd describe the sort of work you wish to do, and how you wish to approach it, there might be a better option we could suggest.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
WillAdams

Postby GurneyHalleck » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 am

Regarding what I want to do, I'm brand new to this. Don't yet even have a machine. But I want to learn about the entire process. I have a 6" tall 2-story bombed out building for my wargaming table that I made from cardboard and spray painted. I want to cut this out and build it in plastic. Try to engrave some bricks or stones onto the walls. I'm intrigued by toolpath generation, and looked into the G2/G3 arc codes.

I created a simpler .svg file with a frame and a 10 mm circle object centered at 140, 40. After the G0 command to position the tool to start carving the circle, Carbide Create produced about 200 G1 line segments to complete the path around the circle. MakerCAM produced 32 arc segments using the G3 command. HumanCAM did it with one G2 command: G2X150.0Y40.0I-10.0J0.0

I have some offset problem, since Carbide Create placed the circle at 140, 36, and MakerCAM placed it at 140, 60. I picked clockwise. MakerCAM and Carbide Create went counter-clockwise. I'm baffled why MakerCAM created so many segments, and with so many different 'arc center points'. The center point was 'given' in .svg file, and the 4 circle vertices must have been calculated in MakerCAM since they are hard coded with no fraction. I downloaded PartKam and started looking through the code. Looking first for where the .svg file is parsed. And I realized that I did not know how to get the equation for an ellipse from the sgv code. Stuck there now.

Relevant svg code:

<g
inkscape:label="Layer 1"
inkscape:groupmode="layer"
id="layer1">
<rect
style="fill:none;fill-opacity:1;stroke:#6d0f0f;stroke-width:0.2;stroke-linecap:round;stroke-linejoin:round;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none;stroke-opacity:1"
id="rect49"
width="168"
height="72"
x="24"
y="201" />
<circle
style="fill:none;fill-opacity:1;stroke:#6d0f0f;stroke-width:0.2;stroke-linecap:round;stroke-linejoin:round;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none;stroke-opacity:1"
id="c+140+40"
cx="140"
cy="237"
r="10" />
</g>
Attachments
Hand-Code-G2.nc
Modifed to use the G2 command
(664 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
GurneyHalleck

Postby WillAdams » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 pm

MakerCAM created multiple paths because it has to approximate the Bézier curve using arcs.

Also, it's my understanding that it's preferred not to make a full circle in G-Code because that can be ambiguous to certain G-Code interpreters.

I would suggest using a 3rd party previewer such as CAMotics or GrblGru to test things out. Also note that Carbide Motion may not accept some ways in which folks hand-code G-Code.
WillAdams

Return to MakerCAM