Working on a diamond-circle-square tutorial

an open source, web based CAM package that works!
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Working on a diamond-circle-square tutorial

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Drawing stuff up in InkScape was straight-forward enough:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Inkscape

but I was put off a bit, when my nicely-stacked objects were wildly separated when I pulled them in to MakerCAM.

Is there some subtlety I'm not understanding here?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Althiels

Re: Working on a diamond-circle-square tutorial

Post by Althiels » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm

I've had an issue with that sort of thing as well going from inkscape to Makercam and never found a good fix so I would be interested if anyone figures this out as well. I was doing text in the center of shapes and I always had to go back in Makercam and line things back up.
Serial #: 1295, DW660 Router, TinyG controller, Dual Y Motors, ACME Z-Axis - First Cut - 2/19/2013

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:02 am

Did you convert your objects to paths?
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm

FWIW, I believe I've puzzled this out --- only the first object is placed in register, the balance are randomly placed, so if one wants everything nice and neat, then bring in only one object as a compound path (or whatever the equivalent terminology in InkScape is).

Has anyone else been trying this sort of thing for calibration? I've cut 3 of them so far, and it's been interesting to see the improvement in quality as the machine's rigidity has been improved:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... .2C_Square
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 pm

FWIW, I believe I've puzzled this out --- only the first object is placed in register, the balance are randomly placed, so if one wants everything nice and neat, then bring in only one object as a compound path (or whatever the equivalent terminology in InkScape is).
I have not had this issue with MakerCAM. Before I save from InkScape I make sure there are no groups and everything is a path:

Explode groups = cntrl+a (select all) , cntrl+shift+g (ungroup), repeat ungroup until status line says "No groups to ungroup in selection."

Make all objects a path = cntrl+a (select all) ,cntrl+shift+c (object to path) , repeat object to path until status line says "No objects to convert to path in selection."

Then I save it.

I'm working mainly on a Mac but have done this with a PC as well.

Hope this helps.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks, yeah, that'd be the InkScape way of make a compound path.

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks, yeah, that'd be the InkScape way of make a compound path.
:D Ok, getting the terminology down is half the battle I guess.