Time wasted during pocket operation...how to fix

an open source, web based CAM package that works!
Bnixon

Post by Bnixon » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:32 pm

I am new to cnc and trying to work thought the use of all the software. I have been trying to figure out how to not waste so much time when cutting pockets for holes. After each pass the machine will raise up to the safety height before moving back to the center to make next cut. This wastes a ton of time. Is there a way to not use safety height for these types of operations? Or is there another operation I should be using? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:20 pm

I feel your pain. Some CAM software have a "stay low" option which keeps track of material removed and uses that for safety height. Most don't. You could manually edit out those moves or possibly try a spiral drill operation if it's a round hole. Maybe someone else has a better solution?
If you eliminate the safety moves I believe on your next move, i.e. to the next pocket it won't raise to safety height. That might be easier to do manually than removing between each pass. I would check to make sure it works before cutting material.

twforeman

Re: Time wasted during pocket operation...how to fix

Post by twforeman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:27 pm

You don't say what software you are using. Many will let you change the way it deals with the safety plane.

Manually editing the file afterwards is also an option, I do it quite a bit.

If they are round holes, use the spiral drill method - it will just mill a spiral down to the final depth. This works great for holes.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Yes, its annoying.

Yes, its easy to fix :)

Basically, all you have to do is remove the G0 Z# lines from your GCode for each profile. But since you would probably WANT to keep the first and last line (to make sure it gets over what it needs to), it might be a pain to do it all by hand.

Ive been doing this by hand for a while, but since you brought it up, that just gave me the kick in the pants I needed to write a tool to do it for me (& you)

Simply paste your GCode in the box and select "Remove MakerCams Safety height for pockets" as the script
http://plasma2002.com/gcodetools/

Bnixon

Post by Bnixon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 am

plasma2002 wrote:Yes, its annoying.

Yes, its easy to fix :)

Basically, all you have to do is remove the G0 Z# lines from your GCode for each profile. But since you would probably WANT to keep the first and last line (to make sure it gets over what it needs to), it might be a pain to do it all by hand.

Ive been doing this by hand for a while, but since you brought it up, that just gave me the kick in the pants I needed to write a tool to do it for me (& you)

Simply paste your GCode in the box and select "Remove MakerCams Safety height for pockets" as the script
http://plasma2002.com/gcodetools/
Wow plasma2002...That is awesome! Thanks for posting. I will have to give it a try on my next project!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:59 am

Alternately, one can just keep track of, and set safety height and stock height appropriately for successive pocketing operations.

This is also implied in the values given in: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... e/MakerCAM
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)