cutting raised letters in a pocket

an open source, web based CAM package that works!
rellzey

cutting raised letters in a pocket

Post by rellzey » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm using inkscape with makercam. I'm trying to create a pocket box with letters that are raised. I've created the outside profile for the letters , but I'm not sure how to create the box pocket so that it excludes the letters. Any help?

Woodworker

Re: cutting raised letters in a pocket

Post by Woodworker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:22 pm

If I remember correctly, you don't need to profile the letter, just select the letter and the box and do a pocket.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:47 pm

yep, just tried a test. In Inkscape I did a simple box with a letter K in the center. open with makercam, selected both the letter and the box, profile operation and it generated tool path for pocketing the box excluding the letter.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

rellzey

Post by rellzey » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks for the info. I got it to work. :)

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:26 am

Is there anything special that has to be done with the letters in Inkscape before saving the SVG file?

In Inkscape I created a square with a letter in the center. Saved to SVG. Ran through MakerCAM to create the toolpaths - all that looks OK. However, when I try to simulate the cutting with OpenSCAM it doesn't work. It loads the file but no image appears to show the milling operation.

When I do the same workflow but use a geometric figure inside the square instead of the letter, everything works fine.

So I assume I have to do some sort of processing on the letter to get OpenSCAM to recognize it. Maybe convert to an object, or a path? Any suggestions? Thanks,
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:35 am

Yes, convert to paths.

Specific command is: Path | Object to Path

Ungroup and rework as needed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:05 am

Yes - that worked! :)

Thanks, Will!
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC

Got2tinxxer

Post by Got2tinxxer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Woodworker wrote:yep, just tried a test. In Inkscape I did a simple box with a letter K in the center. open with makercam, selected both the letter and the box, profile operation and it generated tool path for pocketing the box excluding the letter.
Question:
When you say select the letter and box in MakerCam is it possible to select two objects
together? Before going to profile operation? I am new and every time I select the second figure
the previous selection is deselected. How do you select two objects and have them selected
together for say, profile operation?
Would appreciate your assistance.
Thanks,
Got2tinxxer

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:50 pm

To select multiple objects in MakerCAM it's the same as in most other vector drawing programs:

- drag select to encompass the objects
- click on the first to select, shift-click on successive objects to add them to the selection
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)