makercam pocket problem

an open source, web based CAM package that works!
lee

makercam pocket problem

Post by lee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi guys
Im new to cnc machines and have started using makercam and inkscape workflow.
Can anyone help me with a problem?
When I do a pocket operation in makercam, it doesnt fill the whole circle in a hashed area, instead there is a small segment left unchecked.
Its driving me mad because everything has worked great so far.

Thanks guys

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: makercam pocket problem

Post by WillAdams » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Is it a closed path?

Could you post the .svg? (Add .txt to the file name to upload here)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

lee

Post by lee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:35 am

Yes I will post the svg. I will have to be later today though once iv finished work.
Thanks for your reply

lee

Post by lee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:02 am

Forgot to mention in my last post, I suspected it might be a problem with the svg file I created in inkscape so I made another, tried that but the problem was still there.
So then I just made a simple circle in makercam to rule out inkscape being the problem, and lo and behold the problem was still there. Even with the shape being generated by makercam itself.
As soon as I ask for a pocket to be cut, it ends up looking like a pie chart with I would guess a 10 degree segment missing from the hashed area.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:50 am

I believe this may be a previewing issue. Please look at the G-code in a previewer which allows one to examine the cut from different directions.

Another possibility is that the gap which is left will be cut by the endmill extending half its diameter past where the cut ends.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

lee

Post by lee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Thanks will, so I guess what your saying may happen is the makercam doesnt show that section being cut because the endmill may pass over that section anyway. Il bite the bullet tonight and just send the code to my machine and see what happens.
Hopefully the cut will right itself.

lee

Post by lee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Sorry to be a nuisance will, iv never used a gcode previewer, at least I dont think I have, could you recommend one?
Having said that though im not sure I would even know what im looking for anyway.

Thanks again