Simple Problem with size/measure.

an open source, web based CAM package that works!
ArtFaks

Simple Problem with size/measure.

Post by ArtFaks » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi, i'm new user of Shapeoko2 and i've a little problem.

I can't understand where the problem may be!

let me explain :
- I create my file in Illustrator with the good dimensions in millimeters and i checked several times if my measurements are correct.
- Then i export my file with .svg format.
- I import my .svg file in makercam and i configure my "pocket", "profile" and other "drill".

And every time i notice in the best case a -0.5mm difference and in the worst case a -1.3mm difference.

The worst case (-1.3mm) usually occurs on the "pocket's", and the best case (-0.5mm) on the "profile".

Could you help me please.
Shapeoko2 - Homemade CNC Control box - 400W/48V Chinese Spindle - Protoneer V3 Shield + DRV8825
Process - Illustrator > Makercam > UGCS

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Simple Problem with size/measure.

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Sounds as if you have the basics of the dimensions down well.

The problem probably lies in:

- measuring the endmill
- determining runout for the endmill
- the direction of the cuts, and how the machine deflects

Start here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... he_Machine

Probably you'll need to look into the difference between climb and conventional milling: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... al_Milling

and it may be that you'll need to make a roughing pass, leaving a suitable roughing clearance and sneak up on the final dimension.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ArtFaks

Post by ArtFaks » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks @WillAdams for quick reply.

I will trying with your "Calibration and Squaring the Machine" link, and i'll give the result here, but i think comes perhaps endmill. It is a Dremel Endmill that is noted to 1.6mm but after measuring appear rather 1.32mm.

PS/ Sorry for my "Double Dutch" language, i'm french.
Shapeoko2 - Homemade CNC Control box - 400W/48V Chinese Spindle - Protoneer V3 Shield + DRV8825

ArtFaks

Post by ArtFaks » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi,

Voilà, i'm back, ;-) i've realized myself a test to see the accuracy of my machine, and its rather good result I think.

My mistake must come (i think):
- As i already said, my endmill was closer than 3.175mm instead 3.2mm anounced on the packaging.
- In makercam, i had the bad habit to set all my "profiles" to "Outside + counter clockwise"

I think the shifts i had observed was from these mistakes. right ?

If you want to validate or check my files, you find attached the files i used for my test (pen + paper).
makercam-diamond-pen-test.zip
Test files
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
And here the picture of the my good results:
scan-result.jpeg
Test result
scan-result.jpeg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Just for fun, my workspace :

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Excellent!

Very cool enclosure! Have you written that up anywhere?

Do the lights for X, Y and Z light up? We just had a question about that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ArtFaks

Post by ArtFaks » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks ;-)

I've buy the box here --> http://www.conrad.fr/ce/fr/product/5204 ... AREA_14740

After, with illustrator i've designed the front & back panel and then i've print on transparent adhesive sheet which i pasted on my box. (I had tried another technique described on instructables but without good result).

No, currently, none of the LED's work, because I'm currently finalizing a PCB circuit containing all the functions of my case (with my tiny little electronic skills and with the help of French users of Arduino forum).
I think also create a new topic soon to ask for help for complete my PCB circuit.

Do u think that my machine is properly calibrated seen the result obtained?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Looks good and sharp and symmetrical!

Really looking forward to the board design and documentation. The enclosure looks awesome! (and you should check in on the other thread where xfredericox has been soliciting ideas: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7482 )

ArtFaks

Post by ArtFaks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Ok thank you @WillAdams, i prepare my new post and i'll share my source files to find help and finish the board design.