Shop-vac for dust collection - air reduction

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
rellzey

Shop-vac for dust collection - air reduction

Post by rellzey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:07 pm

I've hooked up my 16 gallon shop vac to use as a dust collector. I had to reduce the 2" hose down to a 3/4" plastic tubing to secure it to my router. I know that my shop vac depends on the airflow for keeping the motor cool, so I'm concerned that extended usage may cause the motor to overheat. Does any one use a similar setup and how does the shop vacs handle long term usage?

dataway

Re: Shop-vac for dust collection - air reduction

Post by dataway » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:06 pm

I would recommend an Oneida dust deputy as I went through three shop vacs before learning my lesson ;). Just google it, I purchased mine from Amazon...
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Here's another option. I have the full sized one of these and it's a great company and product.

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/10-cv06-mini
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:37 pm

If you're concerned about overheating you could put a Y on the vac, preferably with some sort of valve so you could control the amount of vacuum in your 3/4" hose.

SamM

Post by SamM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Anyone play with one of these? Saw it at the local store last night, looks pretty impressive for $20. Now, to figure out a way to rig a cyclone in a single bucket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49940-20097-600 ... 385&rpp=32

dataway

Post by dataway » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Don't think it is an issue on heat but more of the fine dust clogging the filter and into the motor that ultimately led to the demise of my shop vacs with the Dust Deputy no dust ever gets past it even the finest particles...
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:13 am

SamM wrote:Anyone play with one of these? Saw it at the local store last night, looks pretty impressive for $20. Now, to figure out a way to rig a cyclone in a single bucket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49940-20097-600 ... 385&rpp=32
That's the vacuum I am currently using and it works pretty well. It is loud as heck, but if you can deal with that, then it should do the trick. I made a muffler to connect to the exhaust and that seemed to trim down the noise quite a bit (at least to the point where I don't feel like I need hearing protectors on in my small shop.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 am

Schruminator wrote:at least to the point where I don't feel like I need hearing protectors on in my small shop.
Please wear hearing protection anyway. I feel really badly that I didn't urge Inventables to include a pair of foam hearing protectors w/ the full kits, and I'd feel even worse if anyone suffered even slight hearing loss from using the machine. It's cumulative and a hearing aid is something to be avoided.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

rellzey

Post by rellzey » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Everyone, thanks for the info, I do use a two-stage bucket collection with my shop-vac. I built a roll-around cart for the shop-vac and the bucket, with a middle board for hanging the power cord and vacuum hose. This way I can move it around to clean my shop. The bucket saves on the dust bags by collecting the large particles. I'll have to try putting a muffler on the output of the shop-vac. I also agree with WillAdams on the use of hearing protection, I am deaf in my right ear and have lost substantial hearing in my left ear within the last few years due to an inner-ear disease. I still wear my hearing protection over both ears when I'm using these machines with my cnc machine. Believe me, hearing loss is no fun at all, You don't appreciate it until it happens.

Dhpenner1

Post by Dhpenner1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 am

The motor will have to work harder with the reducer, but it will still be spinning at the same speed so cooling shouldn't be an issue.