Spoilboard Surfacing Bit

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
rtlflatt

Re: Spoilboard Surfacing Bit

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 am

wow thank you wasnt expecting such a thorough answer that damn near build log lol. i had seen that last link for sherline cutter but i couldnt find shank size any where... need 1/4" since ill be using dnp611 and it seems like smallest shank size anywhere is 3/8" with the exception of the micromark you used.

these here look promising but ill have to read up on them more to know for sure. idk if that will work with initial plunge or if it needs to come in from the side. seems like micromark should offer pre sharpened bits for a much higher cost of course unless they expecting you to spend way more on blanks trying to make your own
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

PAPPP

Post by PAPPP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:06 am

I take project pictures and notes for my own amusement and reference, and I couldn't find any first-hand information about using that micromark fly cutter on the 'net, so I'm fixing the gap. Don't want to be one of these.

Grinding fly cutter tools "good enough" doesn't seem to be difficult, I still haven't mangled the one that came with the holder enough to require replacement. I think I'm about $25 into this experiment ($10 Holder + $7 spare 2.5" length of 1/8 stock for my next 2-3 bits + $7 grinding wheel set, plus some shipping), and I've paid $25 for things that were both less educational and less useful.

I think Sherline mill tooling is all Morse #1 (1MT), so it isn't likely to be a good choice if you're mounting in a collet.

That router bit looks like a decent option for surfacing operations, I was considering a couple products like that. It looks like that one has an offset in the middle so it should at least tolerate plunging. Magnate has a 1.5" cutting diameter 1/4" shank model that is kind of expensive and looks horrifying but was also on my list of ideas. The big 4x8 gantry router at the local hackerspace has been surfaced with something of that sort, though IIRC they use a 1/2" collet in their ~1.6KW spindle for that kind of thing.

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:30 am

PAPPP wrote:I take project pictures and notes for my own amusement and reference, and I couldn't find any first-hand information about using that micromark fly cutter on the 'net, so I'm fixing the gap. Don't want to be one of these.

my dad just got his new router other day porter cable 892 i think... 1/2 and 1/4 collets and 2-1/4hp. pretty sure even with nema 23s and structural mods s3 wont be able to to use that tho it like 9lbs i think. looks good in my imagination. hopefully edward sees this and will reply "892 should work fine if you make a mount for it" so i can use it just to do spoilboard.

but ya thanks for the info i may end up going micro fly cutter route as well if i cant find anything else. altho id prefer just dropping 50 or pro made 1/4 tho.

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:15 am

im either a genius or a jackass

would that work? obviously with no drill bit.... or at least similar wing blade an option for micro fly cutter?

TomO

Post by TomO » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:27 pm

I saw several suggestions for dish cuter on router sites for planing wood. Has anyone tired one of these?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423783468.079442.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423783468.079442.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
1/4" shank 1" cutting diameter. I have one coming - just waiting on the SO3 so I can give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:37 am

Rtlflatt, that has to run real slow. I have one and use it a drill press. It is frightening at 500 - 600 RPM, I can't imagine it staying in the collet at 12K+

The grizzly bit is a bowl bit. I had one a long time ago and it should work fine.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

sraney

Post by sraney » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Would it be possible to use an existing bit I have as a spoil-board surfacing? http://www.woodcraft.com/product/144148 ... -34cl.aspx

I've seen a few posts about using a bit as small as an 1/4" ballnose bit to resurface, so I'm not sure if this would work.
-- sraney
---------------------------------------
  • break nothing but silence
  • take nothing but pictures
  • leave nothing but footprints

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:13 pm

That will work fine. It's not center cutting so you will have to start the cut on the outside of the spoil board. Wider the bit, the better.

You wouldn't use a ball nose for surfacing. It would only cut at the very tip of the ball.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:18 pm

I have one of these, the 1/4" shank version (RC-2248) to fit my DWP611. Bought from toolstoday.com, same place I grabbed the picture.

It's a sweet tool, but it was also pretty expensive. The replaceable carbide inserts are fairly inexpensive though ($3-$5), so I decided to take the plunge. One of the better parts of having a fly cutter (or any large cutting diameter tool) is you can effectively surface *wider* thank your cutting area, when compared to using a 1/4" bit which is a preat way of not ending up with ribs on the edge of your toolpaths if your spoilboard is wider than your cutting area.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock