milling bits vs. router bits?

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
dave_the_nerd

milling bits vs. router bits?

Post by dave_the_nerd » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:31 am

So, since I have a DW660 now, I've been experimenting with a 1/4" 2-flute straight router bit (which I had on hand) instead of purchasing a "proper" endmill.

It's great, from the standpoint of removing a lot of material, but working in oak, I got a bit of scorching, and am wondering if this is something that's just to be expected from router bits, if a "real" endmill would alleviate that, or if I should be cooling/lubricating the endmill somehow when working with hardwood?

I have my eye on this endmill, since I have a couple of 1/8" shank endmills from them and am happy with the performance.
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

LTEPM

Re: milling bits vs. router bits?

Post by LTEPM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:50 am

If you get burning in hardwood typically your spindle speed is too high or feed rate is too slow. (Speaking from using a router)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:51 am

While a "real" endmill would probably help, slowing down the r.p.m.s and/or increasing the feed or reducing runout will help more.

Please see: http://projects.shapeoko.com/forum/view ... =30#p26665 for one take on the latter.

Also: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Endmills esp. http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... iple_Flute
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

mydarndest

Post by mydarndest » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:51 am

LTEPM wrote:If you get burning in hardwood typically your spindle speed is too high or feed rate is too slow. (Speaking from using a router)
I agree. Too fast motor speed/too slow feed, your going to burn.
Another thing to note is the burning/scorching is caused by the saw dust (powder).
Not always the bit against the wood. You got to get the dust out of the way.
Therefore:
Upcut bits work best for me.
Downcut bits for shallow cuts. If I go to deep .5inch there is too much heat, dust can't get out and it burns/smokes/ruins the bit.
Compression bits - They end up burned up like the downcut bits. I feel like I'm wasting money on these.

Variables are always changing with material and sharpness/dullness of bits.
I am believing I'll be battling this ... forever.
Finding the right feed/speed for materials is a constant research project.

My best cuts are:
Depth of Pass: .05inch to around .0313inch
30 Inches Per minute
This shaves off the material and gets it out of the way for it to be sucked up by my dust shoe/vac.

I dream of the day I can hog out .25 inch depth at 30 inch/min on my SO. :lol:

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Slightly off topic, but important for end mills.

I have two precision collets, 1/8 and 1/4". I made the mistake of ordering only 1 nut. For these precision collets, the collets snap/wedge into the nut used to tightening. It's a pain to move that nut back and forth between the collets. Now I have to pay for shipping for just one nut.

Just a little hint.

Bob, Future SO3 owner
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 am

Been there and did that also. Trying now to convince myself to just order the 2nd nut and save a lot of time.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611