Making a spoilboard/T-nut workholding system

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Making a spoilboard/T-nut workholding system

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah, Inventables actually sells such (but has the plans as well) (doubt 1/8" plywood would work though, I'd want at least 1/4", probably thicker). I'll certainly see what I can work out, but I really want to do a beginning--end bootstrapping process.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 10, 2015 2:33 am

Well, I managed to get the first file cut --- seems fine, but it's tricky lining up the wasteboard and the bit on center for both cuts....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 am

And I got the second cut.

Not 100% convinced that the countersinks were a good idea — make the file take longer to cut, add the whole problem of whether or no they’re the right size, depth, &c. Probably better to either directly countersink the Wasteboard itself (probably one wants through holes there anyway), or to use some sort of spacer plate between the two.

Ah well, I figure out something to fill things in well enough.

When putting things together, remember to leave the 6 holes which are in the center of the corners and the edges un filled, so that they can be used to fasten the Wasteboard in place.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm

After thinking on this a bit more, I'm probably going to discard the counter-sunk wasteboard.

I think it's a much better idea to instead drill through the existing wasteboard and mount the T-nuts on the bottom of it. Then, one could use nylon nuts to fasten the forward 4 through holes into countersunk holes and not have any danger of hitting any metal. One would also have the option of putting additional nylon fasteners in help line things up or provide additional security for the wasteboard at need.

It'll be much simpler to cut as well. On the downside, it means I want a new hole pattern, since we'd want to avoid putting any T-nuts on top of the strap which the wasteboards are in contact w/. Another negative is that the nuts won't be held captive between two layers of material, which is something I liked about the previous design.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 23, 2015 10:48 pm

But, I wasn’t willing to discard the already cut Wasteboard. Fiddled w/ it a bit and got all the nuts installed, save for the six on the bottom of the MDF. Going to drill those now. Photos presently.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 24, 2015 12:19 am

Definitely going to have to work up the 3rd version (it’s the charm, right?).

The current .svg files have the mid-line through hole positioned so that they’re over the side-to-side strap, requiring that one disassemble the Wasteboard to finish drilling and install those T-nuts. Also, one last finishing operation is necessary, one must drill countersinks for whatever fasteners are used. I used screws w/ a countersink in the back, so did it w/ a hand tool, but wanted to use nylon fasteners (which require a flat bottomed countersink) for the four holes w/in the work area, so probably the simplest thing to do for that is to work up a simple file to do that as a pocket, turn off homing and manually jog the machine for those four.

Next version will:

- use through holes
- include the countersinks for the front four holding fasteners
- take into account the structure of the machine and not require disassembly

If I make the files, would someone be willing to cut it, test out my instructions / files and post decent pictures?

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Sun May 24, 2015 7:56 am

i can as soon as i can get mine put together. gotta wait for reply from carbide about some missing/damaged parts tho so somebody else may beat me to it.

and your plan is still to use a 2nd wasteboard above the included wasteboard right or did that get changed
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Bummer about the missing parts, but glad there's interest.

Yes, planning on putting a second wasteboard above the first --- there's enough Z-axis travel that that works for me.

I'm also waffling again on the idea of through holes --- they'd weaken the structure, and there would be a nuisance about aligning them, I worry about T-nuts falling out, &c.

Here's what it looks like at the moment:

Need to identify the odd black capped wingnut-like nuts (found them in a box of misc. hardware from my father's estate). I cut the tops off a couple of them, and they provide a bit more thread than a typical wingnut. If I can just get some #10-24 all thread in nylon I'll be all set for an all-plastic hold-down system (once I print up or make some more).

I think the hot ticket on the actual hold down fastener is to have two points where one can spin it, the top, which allows one to install it in place, then a mid-point fastener which can traverse the length and do the actual holding. I like having the nylon nuts upside down for adjustment --- hopefully won't damage the workholding grid. Now I just need to work up a sacrificial layer in-between that and the stock.....