SO3 Machining Aluminum

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
heathenx

Re: SO3 Machining Aluminum

Post by heathenx » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:28 am

Oh, you may still want that loc-line. Thats a good idea. I dont want to use air because I dont want debris everywhere but if my router was out in the shop then it wouldnt matter. Until then its vacuuming for me.
Shapeoko 3, #405 / Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2, limit switches

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 am

We'll see. I'll be setting up in my basement workshop, but I'd rather not litter the place with aluminum dust. Watching lots of "serious" CNC machining videos on youtube, I may have an unrealistic idea of what chips will be like coming off of this setup (In that they'll be tiny and light off a shapeoko, versus thicker, heavier chips off a Tormach) Though, if they're small and light, it should be easier to get them up with a dust shoe and vac potentially. I'll just have to play with it and see what works!

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Now that I'm all up and running, I finally got to cut into some aluminum!

Pretty much spent every free moment since wedensday getting my machine calibrated, ,set up with end stops, learning how to set up coordinate systems, and ditching carbide motion in favor of Universal G-Code sender.

Turns out I was right about being conservative! I've been cutting test pockets and am up to 80ipm, .1" overlap, and .063" DOC for a material removal rate of .5in^3/min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbOUOItRSE

80IPM is kind of scary, but awesome!

I'm going to push to 100IPM by the end of today, or break an end mill trying.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Smokin’!

Added to the wiki as a footnote.

Glad to see someone having success, it’s been a tedious weekend of trying here, w/o much to show but some broken endmills and various notes on the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Alie

Post by Alie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:18 pm

I cut a "grill" into the "protection plate" that covers the electronics of the shapeoko 3 to mount an 80mm fan, i did it no problem without lubricant. My settings:
2 flute 8mm carbide bit
1000mmpm (sorry metric only here)
Stepown 1 mm
Overlap 3 mm
Dewalt set on 5

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Just ran a 30 min job with the high feeds without any feed related issue... Messed up my work piece prior to starting with a poorly thought out full diameter pass at 100ipm and .063" depth.

On a positive note I stalled the machine and router instead of breaking my 1/4in stub endmill.

Part is just a test piece. Pockets are 1/4in deep and the 'core' is .4" tall.

On another note, I really need to make a dust shoe. i was getting hit by unpleasantly hot chips 4ft away from the machine.
IMG_20150913_181315.jpg
IMG_20150913_181315.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
I've determined that cuts can be much more aggressive in the X axis than the Y. The steel plate the DW611 is attached to is vibrating like crazy compared to the rest of the machine.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:00 am

Fablicator - very cool!

Is that an uncoated end mill or coated? I've been using the Lakeshore ZrN and it seems good, but uncoated is cheaper if it works well.

For the actual pockets on the roughing, what is the IPM and how deep are you going per pass?

I think the plate that the router mount bolts to needs some stiffening. The v wheels are all up a bit from the mount holes, so when force is applied way out at the end mill, it can flex that plate. Stiffeners to make the plate "deeper" to resist bending would be nice.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:20 am

TomDChi wrote:Fablicator - very cool!

Is that an uncoated end mill or coated? I've been using the Lakeshore ZrN and it seems good, but uncoated is cheaper if it works well.

For the actual pockets on the roughing, what is the IPM and how deep are you going per pass?

I think the plate that the router mount bolts to needs some stiffening. The v wheels are all up a bit from the mount holes, so when force is applied way out at the end mill, it can flex that plate. Stiffeners to make the plate "deeper" to resist bending would be nice.
Uncoated end mill. I assumed I'd break it doing something stupid far before it ever wore out.

For the roughing, 80IPM, .063" deep, .1" stepover.

I'm already contemplating machining a new plate from 3/4in thick aluminum I have laying around. Doesn't seem like the extra weight would hurt, and the stock springs are pretty useless as-is. My only real concern is how to make the eccentric nuts work on such a thick plate.

~Andrew

Okinawanwinds

Post by Okinawanwinds » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:10 pm

congrats, and tell me how do you protect from flying broken end-mill bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Fablicator wrote:I'm already contemplating machining a new plate from 3/4in thick aluminum I have laying around. Doesn't seem like the extra weight would hurt, and the stock springs are pretty useless as-is. My only real concern is how to make the eccentric nuts work on such a thick plate.
Does this help?

http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/result/?K ... ntric+Bolt
Shapeoko 3 #516