Quick Clamp Fixture

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
twforeman

Quick Clamp Fixture

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 am

I love the DeStaCo quick clamps. They have many varieties. I recently bought some of the push-pull style to make a fixture to mill my .50 BMG inserts.

I used some MDF to make the plate, and glued two blocks on to form a 90 degree corner. Then I added some #8-32 threaded inserts to bolt down three DeStaCo push-pull clamps.

I make two different size inserts, so I installed two different sets of threaded inserts so I can use the same fixture for both.

I just bolt it to the table, indicate it square to the machine and pick up the zero using the corner blocks.

Then I clamp in an insert and start milling.

Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Shook

Re: Quick Clamp Fixture

Post by Shook » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 am

Nice. I like it alot and I'm very jealous of the T-Slots. I like the fact that you have the piece oriented square. Can you explain how you locate the part in the T-Slots so that it's always in the same location when you start? Are you just using a pre-milled piece of stock to register the jig against? Or are you using a corner finder?

I did the threaded inserts in my waste board, but I haven't used them as well as I could. I need to take the time to make a corner jig like this (perhaps with a sacrificial lauan top)
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

twforeman

Re: Quick Clamp Fixture

Post by twforeman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Shook wrote:Can you explain how you locate the part in the T-Slots so that it's always in the same location when you start? Are you just using a pre-milled piece of stock to register the jig against? Or are you using a corner finder?
To square up the fixture I mount a dial test indicator to a 1/4" dowel I added to the spindle mount and run it back and forth across the front stop on the jig.

I suppose I should write up some tutorials about how to square things and pick up zero.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts