Trying To Get The V Grove Groovy

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
johnelle

Trying To Get The V Grove Groovy

Post by johnelle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:19 pm

I am still fairly new to this but I am having a lot of trouble with my current project which is very very simple--my daughter's company logo on coasters.

I cannot for the life of me get the lettering crisp. I have tried varying the speed from Dremel 2 to 3.5 (the recommended). Tried Feeds from 25 to 75. Tried pine and some fairly thin popular. I am using a brand new Nomad 1/2 V60 bit. I am no blaming the font and/or the size. I just cannot get it crisp.

Please share some accumulated wisdom with me.

Shown is a piece of poplar. Multiple passes at different speeds. Still ragged.
Letter-Test.jpg
V60 on 1/4 inch poplar. Multiple passes at different speeds
Letter-Test.jpg (775.21 KiB) Viewed 575 times

Schruminator

Re: Trying To Get The V Grove Groovy

Post by Schruminator » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 pm

I tried a 90 degree V bit of a similar style to the Nomad one you're using and got terrible results as well. I now exclusively use V bits of this style here:
eBay Listing Link

I use primarily 1/4" endmills in my Dewalt palm router, but the results with these sharp tipped V bits (and they are needle sharp!) are leagues better than I got with the Nomad-style bit I was using. I've repurposed that Nomad-style bit for chamfering holes I drill. It will never be used to v-carve again. If that ebay link is dead, search for "60 degree carbide bit" and look for one without the bulbous head similar to this photo here.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:46 pm

I should mention that I have not used the specific v-bit I linked to, all of mine are 1/4" diameter-- but those three or four 1/4" ones are basically identical in design to the one I linked to and from the same seller. Most of my v carving has been in poplar, and generally the endmills have produced excellent results.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Another consideration here is how fine/coarse-grained the wood is.

My suggestion would be to do a test cut in MDF (which essentially has no grain), then work your way through wood species until you find one at the right price and cut quality.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)