Gecko placement for a S03, opinions welcome!

Get help with the Geckodrive motor controller
GoSpeedRacer

Gecko placement for a S03, opinions welcome!

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 pm

I had already started gathering my dream machine- I have the S03 and also bought a G540, power supplies, limit switch kit, and a SuperPid as well as the router. I have an enclosure I had planned to put it all in, nice and tidy. Then I started adding up all the wires that would need to go from the controller to the machine. This is where I am having a hard time deciding.

If I build the controller as a unit, I keep everything neat and tidy and out of the way. The downfall is the crazy amount of wires that need to run from the control box to the machine. I count 16 signal wires, 16 stepper wires, and 3 power wires. I'm probably forgetting a few

If I put the gecko on the tram, like stock, I cut down the wiring a bunch. I still need to mount the pid, power supplies and a few switches in the enclosure. The benefit is there are only the 3 power wires, 7 small wires to pid and switches, and the parallel that would be tethered to the machine.

I know there is no right way to do it, but I'd love to hear arguments either way. I cut mainly G10 which is a nice insulator so no fear of conducting in the g540. I'd like to cut Carbon tho, eventually, and that is a whole nother story.

Jimf

Re: Gecko placement for a S03, opinions welcome!

Post by Jimf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 am

Always run the shortest parallel cable possible to the gecko540. These are the low voltage TTL step/direction lines which are subject to noise if the cable is too long.

This pretty much means the g540 is closest to the PC and shouldn't be installed on the gantry.

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks Jim, that's a great point. Im familiar with the 6' or less preference on the cable but hadn't considered that shorter is probably even better.

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 am

Also another point is that most parallel cables are not designed to be flexed in cable trays continuously. I would think it would soon have wire shorts/breakage if you use it that way.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm also for a stationary controller -- because motor wires can be long and can flex repeatedly, but regular parallel cables can not; and because I want to keep my electronics further away from vibration and dust.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Very good, I think I'm sold on continuing the route I started of a stationary controller.

That said, are there any points of I nterference with any of the stepper wires, router power wire, and the pid signal wires? I'd like to keep them all in a single chain like on my cheap 4030 machine