Program quit working......

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill

Program quit working......

Postby apopj » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:16 am

Hello all,

I have my machine (XXL) all set up and ready. I go to the homing setup, follow step by step, and after about the 3rd step, where it says "send config data" I immediately get an error message stating "program quit running". I am running Windows 10, plenty of memory, power to the controller is on, computer connected, but I am at a loss as to what may be happening. I am using the downloaded "Carbide Motion 4" as stated in instructions. There were several missing steps during assembly, so was something left out in the part also? Thanks for the help, and I do have an email message into Support, I will call tomorrow also. Just would like to get some idea as to what is going on....

Jeff :?:

Also, in the LOG window it says (1) State:Set Machine State: not connected

It was suggest that I open the log window and then in MDI sending $$ to the machine.... if I am in Log and then go back to Carbide Motion and click on MDI, nothing happens
apopj

Re: Program quit working......

Postby apopj » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 pm

First, let me say that Carbide 3D has the best support group I have ever used. They called me back as they said they would and were very helpful. I was told that the problem I had and the reason it occurred has been addressed and corrected....

So, the problem was, the instructions, while good, were not complete enough for a very basic beginner such as myself. One step was skipped over and that was the key to the problem....

Once you get everything set up and are ready to begin the homing set up, you MUST turn on the control board (which I did) but YOU MUST CLICK ON "CONNECT TO CUTTER" BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. Since this was not mentioned, I didn't do it thinking it might screw something up. After thinking about it for awhile, I clicked the "connect to cutter" and I was off and running. As soon, almost within seconds of my figuring this out, I got a call from Carbide Support to help me out. I explained what the problem was and added a few other ambiguious items in the instructions and was told that they were being rewritten as we spoke and the new instructions would address all of my concerns. That is indeed good support.

So, there you have it...... if you need more info on what was happening, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can go over it in detail.

Again, THANKS TO CARBIDE SUPPORT FOR THE HELP..... :)
apopj

Return to Shapeoko 3 Assembly