ShapeOko 3 assembly problems, tips and tricks?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

ShapeOko 3 assembly problems, tips and tricks?

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Please post any potential updates for the Assembly Troubleshooting page: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... leshooting

Or other thoughts and notes on assembling your ShapeOko 3.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LarryGZone

Re: ShapeOko 3 assembly problems, tips and tricks?

Post by LarryGZone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Now adjusting the Z axis tension, etc. Should it be adjusted such that the springs always return the Z fully to the top? It seems when I adjust out any wiggle with the V wheels, it is a bit stiff and springs do not quite return plate all the way to the top smoothly. (Assembly is not mounted yet, just doing prelim adjustment).
Stock SO3 SN #024

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:00 pm

AIUI the springs are just there to keep the spindle / endmill from crashing into the wasteboard / material and breaking a bit. By the time I was satisfied w/ the adjustment of mine the springs wouldn't return the Z-axis spindle mount carriage all the way up either --- things to aim for:

- Z-axis carriage moves smoothly along the entire length of travel
- all wheels turn / make contact as the carriage moves
- no wiggle or play (the Z-axis extrusions _must_ be as parallel as is possible)

So long all that is the case, it should be fine.

Moreover, I don't think the springs can fully overcome the weight of even the lighter routers.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

LarryGZone

Post by LarryGZone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Cool, thanks Will. Looks like I am ready to put this baby together now.
Stock SO3 SN #024

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 pm

copied from: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 485#p45485

Things to look out for:

- mind the 16 and 20mm bolts, they’re easily confused.
- there’s some Imperial hardware mixed in w/ the otherwise metric stuff — I’d suggest using 1/8" and other Imperial tools where appropriate if you have them available, so as to less the possibility of rounding connectors/tools out --- see http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Tools for further details
- count carefully and identify things first, testing all the parts. At least two people were short 2M5x16s, and there have been some 5/16" hex nuts mixed in w/ the metric ones — if something doesn’t thread properly, don’t force it, investigate. You want one list of parts, for one trip to the hardware store, or package from Edward
- it seems that the design has been changed since the initial parts list was done --- this resulted in some builders having an Imperial bolt and nut left over
- early kits didn't include M3 hardware 4 nuts and 20--25 mm bolts to mount the fan — it’s noisy (by some standards) and arguably isn't necessary w/ the heat sink another option would be to zip tie it in place.
- read through the wiki and check out parts which you’re not familiar w/ on the parts page: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Parts

Be patient and calm and orderly and examine the drawings and read the instructions until you understand them and it’ll all come together naturally.

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:18 am

does it seem to be the fans air flow thats noisy? or vibration against the fan mount? ive got a bunch of rubber pc fan screws left over from various computer builds so i may try mounting mine with them n see if that helps.

although now that i said that i feel a lil silly for spending more than 5 seconds thinking about how to silence the mini fan on a cnc router.....
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 am

Hard to tell. We’ll have to see how it sounds once I get a top and bottom on the enclosure.

reprobubbles

Post by reprobubbles » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:58 pm

I can't believe I'm struggling with something so simple. I am now just assembling the waste board to the frame. I am a little confused from the instructions. Do the PEM nuts all face the bottom? Will the PEM nuts be sitting on the table when the frame is completed? Is there on the M5 x 16mm screws used in this process or are there more hardwired?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Correct, the PEM nuts are one the bottom / underneath (and support the machine on the table until one adds rubber bumpers). The bolts don’t have washers or anything else, just connect things.

reprobubbles

Post by reprobubbles » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:46 pm

When using the eccentric nuts, do the eccentric side lay flat against the carriage plate or do the flush side of the eccentric nut lay flat against the carriage plate? I actually think I figured this one out. They actually slide into the hole. If not correct let me know.

When placing the GT2 pulley 20 tooth onto the end of the stepper motor, do I just slide it on? I didn’t file the end of the steeper motor. I’ve tried sliding it on but won’t go very far and seems to get stuck. Can I gently tap it on? I actually got them all on but one. It stuck half way and won't pull off or go down. I don't want to mess up the motor. Any suggestions?

When placing the steeper motor onto the carriage plates, does it matter if the electrical is on top, bottom or the side?

Y axis carriage plate(s):
Just to clarify because I think I put them on the wrong access. The long cords will go on the two Y axis carriage plates? These are the carriage plates that look alike?

X axis carriage plate:
I have a ton of questions about this plate. Does any of pictures of this plate from different angels?