Shapeoko 3 - Assembly Instructions (preliminary)

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Assembly Instructions (preliminary)

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:45 pm

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3#S3103
This is the Y-axis gantry motor mount assembly and should be built in two mirrored pairs using the motors w/ short leads as noted....
http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... onal_tools
Note: The Loctite might not be necessary, but is handy to have around. As the machine vibrates (and it will), your bolted connections have the potential of loosening. If this occurs, one option is to use a dab of thread locker to prevent the guilty bolt from coming loose again. It's not necessary to do this to any of the bolts unless they begin to loosen. Alternately, one could instead use lock washers.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:12 pm

Here's something I learned the hard way. ;)

When you assemble the Shapeoko 3, you can sock down and tighten the bolts holding the fixed delrin v-wheels. You can't tighten the opposing ones on the off centered nuts because you don't know the exact position to set the cam.

During assembly, you can tighten those nuts on for the units that run on the x and y gantries. It was not obvious how to do it on the z gantry and I just left them 'as tight as I could' with the wrench without holding the socket bolt from rotating on the other side.

3 milling jobs later, they loosened so much the z axis gantry started angling off of vertical which made some interesting milling slots in my work piece. All wavy when they should have been straight.

As it turns out, there are two holes in the back of the z axis gantry that line up with the socket head caps. With a little fussing, you can slide the gantry up, get a hex key in the socket cap, and tighten the bolt with the wrench -- with the z axis gantry in place.

It's obvious that's what the holes are for when you're looking for them.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Dallas wrote:Here's something I learned the hard way. ;)

When you assemble the Shapeoko 3, you can sock down and tighten the bolts holding the fixed delrin v-wheels. You can't tighten the opposing ones on the off centered nuts because you don't know the exact position to set the cam.

During assembly, you can tighten those nuts on for the units that run on the x and y gantries. It was not obvious how to do it on the z gantry and I just left them 'as tight as I could' with the wrench without holding the socket bolt from rotating on the other side.

3 milling jobs later, they loosened so much the z axis gantry started angling off of vertical which made some interesting milling slots in my work piece. All wavy when they should have been straight.

As it turns out, there are two holes in the back of the z axis gantry that line up with the socket head caps. With a little fussing, you can slide the gantry up, get a hex key in the socket cap, and tighten the bolt with the wrench -- with the z axis gantry in place.

It's obvious that's what the holes are for when you're looking for them.
That's one thing that's impressed me all along the build. Every time I think "man, that's annoying that way" I realize later that there was a workaround already designed into the machine. :D
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:25 pm

edwardrford wrote:DOWNLOAD HERE --> http://bit.ly/1HRWBcY
Is this the latest? It and the one at the main shapeoko.com page both say they're from April.

No worries if it's the latest - just checking..

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:45 pm

It's the latest, but the July blog update says a new revised manual is coming soon.

woodinturn

Post by woodinturn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:58 am

i need help. as im new to cnc and computers i finally have my Shapeoko hooked up downloaded Carbid Motion pluged everything in clicked on C/M to jog the router around and nothing happened. not sure where to start my check list. thanks in advance!!!!

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:44 am

woodinturn wrote:i need help. as im new to cnc and computers i finally have my Shapeoko hooked up downloaded Carbid Motion pluged everything in clicked on C/M to jog the router around and nothing happened. not sure where to start my check list. thanks in advance!!!!
Are all your motors plugged into the Carbide Motion board securely?
Is the Carbide Motion board plugged into the power supply?
Is the power supply set to the right voltage if you're in a 220V country?
Is the power supply plugged in?
Is the power supply turned on?

I believe the Carbide Motion board can draw enough power over USB to start up the processor, but not anywhere near enough to run the motors, so even if your computer is recognizing the board as being on, there might still be a power supply issue.

woodinturn

Post by woodinturn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:44 pm

concerning--Carbide Motion start up--checked all connections---still no response----My shop does not have internet access could that be a problem?

Dallas

Another Useful Tidbit

Post by Dallas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:52 am

On page 9 of the current instructions (April version?), for the x-axis carriage plate (Assembly #3):

Regarding part number 13 (the two silver colored custom extrusions held on to the back of the plate with square nuts that engage in slots -- strangely, they are listed in the parts but not identified in the drawing...). It is important that these be parallel to the vertical axis of the plate, equidistant to each other at their tops and bottoms, and are pushed towards each other given the slop allowed with the v-groove wheels.

If they are not parallel to the plate, your router will not be perpendicular to the table. (This I learned the hard way.) [By the way, here's how I figured that out: remove the router, make sure the power is off so you can move the carriages freely, and slide the z-axis all the way down to the waste board. Look where the x-axis carriage plate is touching the waste board -- it should be contacting the waste board evenly.]

If they are not equidistant to each other top and bottom, the carriage will get looser / tighter against the extrusions as it goes up and down. In other words, your router will have more slop depending on whether you are at the top or bottom of its range.

Lastly, if the extrusions are too far apart from each other, you may not be able to adjust the offset washers enough to get a nice firm contact between the v-wheels and the extrusions.

They can be adjusted while the machine is assembled (I just did), but its not fun. :-) And in order to tighten the bottom set of v-wheels, you'll need to slide the y-axis carriage all the way to the front so that the z-axis hangs off the front so you can lower it just past the waste board and get to the hex nut from the back.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:37 am

Hmm, I'll check that out later tonight.