Shapeoko 3 - Assembly Instructions (preliminary)

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Assembly Instructions (preliminary)

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 am

Woodinturn, the ’net connection is only needed to download the required software, and check for updates, it doesn’t need to connect for regular operations.

Please review the checklist which castirony worked up — it should be one of those things.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:10 pm

As I go I've been taking photo of each of the components, and adding them to the B.O.M. Hopefully that helps the next person who's as clueless with this stuff as I'm feeling. ;)
But I'm having trouble with the instructions (April 2015) on page 11.

a) The page 11 instructions say:
When Installing the bearing idlers, note the direction of the screw. The nut end of the assembly needs to be on the bearing side. If you put the nut on the inside of the assembly (on the plate side) you’ll have an interference issue when trying to move the z-axis carriage up and down. See diagram on following page for more details.
What/which bit are the "bearing idlers"? There's nothing marked as such, and Google isn't helping. :(

b) Which side is the "bearing side" vs the "plate side"? Not seeing anything to indicate which is which.

c) On page 9, it would probably be useful to have an arrow + circle thing calling out where component #22 goes. I think it's in the middle, at the bottom, connecting to component #27 (shown on page 11), but I'm not sure.
Shapeoko 3 #516

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Bearing idlers are the free-spinning wheels you make out of two bearings, a bolt, at least one washer/spacer, and a nut. They're there to direct the belt but not interfere with its movement.

In this case I think it's calling out the part you noted, at the center bottom of page 11. It's telling you to put the bolt through in the direction it's show on the diagram (bolt head, bearing, bearing, spacer, plate, nut), because if you do it the other way it'll hit something as the Z carriage moves.

And you're correct about nut #22, it goes on the other side of that part, attaching it to the plate.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks CastIrony. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Alie

Re: R: Shapeoko 3 - Assembly Instructions (preliminary)

Post by Alie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:45 am

Only part a bit unclear is the z-axis assembly, specifically the fixed pulley because it's hiding under other components on the drawing, i think the rest is crystal clear! I had no problem whatsoever assembling it!

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:18 am

Everyone comes at this w/ a different awareness of mechanical terms, and I can certainly understand how a person who doesn’t have experience running belts or the sort of intuitive leap which Edward had which allowed him to repurpose a pair of bearings as an idler could have AP’s confusion about those specific parts.

That said, AP is doing some wonderful work on the wiki, posting photographs and editing the SO3 page to make use of them, and cleaning up and updating some of the text.

Thanks! And good work!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:14 pm

WillAdams wrote:I can certainly understand how a person who doesn’t have experience running belts or the sort of intuitive leap which Edward had which allowed him to repurpose a pair of bearings as an idler could have AP’s confusion about those specific parts.
Yeah. In my case I'm a software guy, and this is my first real hardware project. So, I'm learning from the ground up. I didn't know what an "idler" is, let along a "bearing idler", so the text as-is for the April 2015 version instructions was beyond me.
WillAdams wrote:That said, AP is doing some wonderful work on the wiki, posting photographs and editing the SO3 page to make use of them, and cleaning up and updating some of the text.

Thanks! And good work!
You're welcome. :) I've learned that when I get involved in a new project, it's often useful to document stuff from the very start as I begin to understand it. It helps other people coming from a similar lack-of-appropriate-knowledge background get involved and get to a useful place with less frustration.
Shapeoko 3 #516

adamd

Post by adamd » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Edward - Can we get an update on when you expect to have the next version of the Assembly Instructions?

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Regarding what AP said about documenting everything --

I think this is a great idea and I'd recommend it to everyone. After all, you've got a computer open already, right? Just start up a text file and start recording what you're doing, what went wrong, and how you eventually fixed it.

I'm a software guy, too, and I've been doing this my whole career. It really helps. I write down EVERYTHING. I write it in a Word document with internal hyperlinks between similar topics. Every time I get a call I document what the person wanted, and how I responded. I save email threads. Also, every time a problem comes up, I give it its own section, I write down what it is, what I'm confused about, how I approached it, what analysis I did (including links if I had to look something up) and what the fix was. Do that for a while and you build up a database of problems solved, which helps enormously the next time a similar problem comes up. It's like the Forum, but for your own particular setup.

Yeah, it adds time to the job, when all you want to do is tear into the problem, but it more than pays for itself in the long run.
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:14 pm

That’s pretty much why (and how), I work on the wiki.