Waste Board Dimensions

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Waste Board Dimensions

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:19 am

I've actually have my SO3 resting on top of a pair of 18"x24"x1/2" cutting boards at the moment and have considered using one of them as a sacrificial wasteboard --- the big negative is that the stuff is slippery, so I worry it'd be hard to clamp stuff to.

I'm probably going to get a sheet of pegboard tomorrow --- I figure I'll drill four holes in the corners of the wasteboard aligned w/ the holes in the pegboard, cut up the sheet to fit as many pieces as I can, then stack a reasonable number of sheets on the SO3 and fasten them down --- when the topmost sheet gets too cut up, I'll flip it, then once both sides are damaged, unbolt the whole stack, insert a fresh sheet at the bottom and repeat as necessary --- or maybe I'll just get a sheet of hardboard and won't worry 'bout the holes and will drill my own.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

TomO

Post by TomO » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 am

Has anyone tried a hard wood bottom "plate" with a thinner mdf sacrificial waste board on top? Making a very sturdy base & a solid way to mount threaded inserts. I'm new to this - I might be way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

achartthatflows

Post by achartthatflows » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:42 am

Will, that's similar to what I was thinking of. I'd like to have T slots running parallel to the Y axis rails, bolted to and flush with the top of the HDPE. Between the slots I'd mill a ~.25" or less deep flat pocket and drop in a piece of sacrificial something or another. Maybe pegboard, though I'd personally rather not have that many holes. I'm thinking some strategically placed threaded inserts and corresponding holes in the sacrificial piece would allow just about any workholding setup I could need.
Shapeoko 3 #0491
TREX 450 Clone
MonArk - Awaiting a new outer hull
... someday everything will be up and running.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Okay, looks as is 4' x 4' (actual 47.75 x 47.75") pegboard is quite affordable:

$8.27 --- http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... SSP2204425 --- should be able to cut that up into ~23.25" sheets w/ nicely aligned holes

An interesting product for an insert is:

$5.69 --- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-16- ... /202249707 --- 16 in. x 16 in. Black Plastic Pegboard --- if I can get the holes to line up, should be able to align it w/ a stack of the above, have the machine cut the top sheet to make a surfaced pocket and drop that in --- then flip / replace as needed
and maybe I'll just get some hardboard to cover things.

Of course I'll need T-nuts, lots and lots of T-nuts --- need to see if there's a size which would fit inside the pre-existing holes or something. If not, I see some tedious drilling in my future. --- doesn't matter, I'll have to make do w/ these:

1/4-20 T-Nuts, 10-Piece --- http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/130226 ... Piece.aspx

since they're a quarter each --- unless I find something else which suits better.

Maybe a pair of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/drill-pres ... 96395.html

Though I've tried to swear off Harbor Freight.... It's a shame that this isn't available in a smaller size: http://www.rockler.com/rockler-t-track-table-top

The other question is how the Nomad 883 wasteboard would work on an SO3: http://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/c ... =928086019 --- might be a nice option for small-scale work.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:50 am

Well, they had #10-24 T-nuts in the bags for $1.18 for a pack of four, so cleared out the local Home Depot — I’ll have to check the other local hardware stores when I get a chance.

Probably should’ve picked up the 2'x4' pegboard there, rather than going for the 4'x4' sheets at Lowes — despite 13 being listed as in stock, they only had 5 beat up sheets (at least one of which was an off-cut from a 4x8 sheet). The smaller sheets would only require one cut per panel to get to 24" x 23.25", except I went and measured again, looks like 24" won’t fit between the metal front/back plates (since 600mm is just less than 23 5/8").

Oh well, I brought back two 4'x4' sheets in my truck, so I reckon I can cut something usable out of it.

The Everbilt 16"x16" plastic pegboard is interesting — it has 5 cone-shaped attachment points which aren’t aligned w/ the hole grid and which extend down ~11 and two-thirds mm past the outer rim, which in turn is proud of the internal ribbing by ~2 and a third mm. There are four nubs at rib intersections which I guess I’ll have to drill holes for, and I guess I can mill down half-way through the top sheet of wooden pegboard to accommodate the outer rim of the plastic.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:49 pm

And of course, I find yet another option:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wall-Control ... /202477786

16" x 32" metal panels --- I could buy those, cut each in half and mount the plastic peg board upside down on top of it --- then I'd just surface off all the excess material which that would then expose.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Hmm, I wonder if the grid of holes is more accurate on the metal stuff or the smaller sheets.

I suspect the smaller sheets would work better ’cause one would be able to stack them in a store and make certain that the holes would line up before purchasing — not having much luck w/ cutting and stacking from the larger sheets.

Caveat emptor and all that.

Joe_C

Post by Joe_C » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:48 am

WillAdams wrote: I suspect the smaller sheets would work better ’cause one would be able to stack them in a store and make certain that the holes would line up before purchasing — not having much luck w/ cutting and stacking from the larger sheets..
I seem to remember that Winston Roy used his S2 to bore holes in the spoil board so he could mount threaded inserts. You could start with a stack of blank tempered masonite and use your S3 to drill any grid pattern you like. It'd be tedious though.

EDIT: I found the video. [url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdAnUnX59s][/url]
Joe C.
Last edited by Joe_C on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 am

Yeah, but that didn’t register w/ me and get added to the wiki.

I think the better idea is to have two files, one cuts half of the rows of holes +1(actually one needs less than half, plus mounting holes which will go all the way in the back), while the other cuts the balance of the holes. Clamp a piece of MDF, run the first file, flip the board around and fasten it in place using the middle holes (drill additionally by hand as needed), then run the second file and cut the balance of the holes.

Oh well, it’s not like I had anything meaningful to do w/ that Dragonlord Ojutai or the money I got selling it.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:46 pm

Okay, 23x23 is excessive and unnecessary.

16x16 work area, add a row of holes all around that 18 x 18 for a grid of T-nuts, go 18.5"x18.5" for the material — anything readily available at that size?

I’ll draw this up and think about it and decide if I want to buy 324 or 529 T-nuts and whether I want to make two, three or four more cuts.