Z belt alignment

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
semmons23

Z belt alignment

Post by semmons23 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:01 pm

I think I've installed everything correctly but I'm just wondering if the z belt should be offset like this when it goes around the fixed gear. I installed that gear upside down per instructions but it seems like this is going to cause excess wear. Does it look the same as others peoples?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.24 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Shapeoko 3 - #0073

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Z belt alignment

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 07, 2015 1:07 pm

(I had thought) Mine has a similar offset --- not wild about it, but assume it was a limitation of available parts and clearance and was the best arrangement possible given the constraints of mass production.

Meant to ask about it, but never got around to it (presumably because when I actually looked at my machine I saw that it wasn't the case) --- thanks for the photo and the clear example of it --- hopefully we'll get some good discussion, a definitive statement and maybe we can work up some add-on/alternative part which improves it (I believe it'd be worthwhile to improve this (and reduce wear-and-tear?) on the belt).

<deletia>
Last edited by WillAdams on Sat May 09, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Actually looked at the machine as opposed to trying to remember what it looks like
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

semmons23

Post by semmons23 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks Will - I'll keep going then. The only other issue I've had so far is the M5 x 25 BHCS that holds that fixed gear in place was missing but I had one in my stash. I also installed one of the z-axis rails backwards which became obvious when I tried to attach the X-axis.

I do find the diagrams a bit hard to read but its not too bad. I printed them out and probably should have left them on my ipad so I could zoom in but then I wouldn't have been able to watch the NBA Playoffs! :)
Shapeoko 3 - #0073

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 07, 2015 2:18 pm

semmons23 wrote:I do find the diagrams a bit hard to read but its not too bad. I printed them out and probably should have left them on my ipad so I could zoom in
Curious if anyone is interested in an interactive version of the diagrams as we had for the Shapeoko 2:

http://docs.shapeoko.com/content/tPictu ... 28-100.svg

(click or tap on the part # / name in the list to highlight, unhighlight the matching parts --- considered making the numbers in the diagram interactive as well, but that interfered w/ scrolling and zooming (for me at least))

I believe that the parts count is low enough on the SO3 that I could do the entire thing in one file.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

semmons23

Post by semmons23 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:10 pm

part of the trouble for me was the fact that not all the parts can be seen in 1 image which is understandable. I also found that the exploded parts looked like they lined up with parts that they don't really line up with. The one I had the most trouble with was sorting out the z-axis fixed gear and the v-wheel. Clearly they're not that close together but it was late and I was tired. The parts circled all ran together - it didn't help that I couldn't find part #7 (M5x25 BHCS).

I think that part selector is really cool but unless I really ran into an issue I doubt I'd use it.
Attachments
zaxis.JPG
zaxis.JPG (30.22 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Shapeoko 3 - #0073

semmons23

Post by semmons23 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:39 pm

So, I found an issue with how I put the z axis together and when I put it back together, I put the fixed gear on backwards. Now the belt is aligned. Any chance the drawing is wrong as this looks like they way it really should be done??? If not, what would be a reason for me to change it back and put it out of alignment.
zaxis2.jpg
zaxis2.jpg (420.51 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Shapeoko 3 - #0073

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri May 08, 2015 5:26 pm

The belt shouldn't have any offset in it, so installing the pulley as you did to correct that was the appropriate thing to do.

I'll go back through and add a few more angles to the exploded view diagram. I agree it's a mess and tough, especially in the area you are referring to, make out what goes where.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 08, 2015 5:28 pm

OIC.

Well, my belt pulley came assembled and has only a slight angled offset — guess I’ll have to look at the machine and see that it's fine and realize that there's nothing which need be done to correct it (my machine).
Last edited by WillAdams on Sat May 09, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Actually looked at the machine as opposed to trying to remember what it looks like

semmons23

Post by semmons23 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Will - not sure what you mean with regard to your belt pulley was already assembled? I didn't do anything except flip part 6 in the above diagram so the set screws are closer to the plate and the gear part is away from the plate. This puts everything in alignment.

Edward - thanks!
Shapeoko 3 - #0073