Axis are studdering.

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
franazzo

Re: Axis are studdering.

Post by franazzo » Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 am

cvoinescu wrote:Yes, they are, but that's not my point. With the power off, move the switches back and forth to clean the contacts. Do that for all eight of them. We've seen one case when a N17/N23 switch caused a motor to make a crackling noise, meaning the switch did not make perfect contact; toggling the switch a few times cleaned it, and the noise was gone.

Hi cvoinescu,
Thanks for your time also!
I did what you suggested , it still is doing the same thing. No movement in X axis and the Z and Y axis are all studdering back and forth.

zamp

Post by zamp » Sun May 10, 2015 2:18 am

franazzo wrote:
cvoinescu wrote:Yes, they are, but that's not my point. With the power off, move the switches back and forth to clean the contacts. Do that for all eight of them. We've seen one case when a N17/N23 switch caused a motor to make a crackling noise, meaning the switch did not make perfect contact; toggling the switch a few times cleaned it, and the noise was gone.
Hi cvoinescu,
I did what you suggested , it still is doing the same thing. No movement in X axis and the Z and Y axis are all studdering back and forth.
I think you said the switches are all on 1/8. Did you make sure they're also all on N23? The SO3 ships with NEMA 23 stepper motors, not NEMA 17. If you need to move the switches to N23, again make sure the power is off before doing that.

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun May 10, 2015 3:13 am

I found the mini-switches, they are so "big" I needed a magnifying glass to find them! I switched every single one, many, many times like you said but NO LUCK!
The Z axis works okay, with a little studder and the Y-1 and Y-2 axis runs, but still with a studder and the X axis -there is NO MOVEMENT at all, just rattling on the spot about 1/16".

If anyone out there has any ADVICE, it would be really appreciated, because if I would have to exchange the X axis I would have to dismantle the WHOLE machine, which I don't really want to do, at this point!

Thanks everyone!!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 10, 2015 3:31 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun May 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks to you all!
As a completely newbie to CNC's , I have one more question before I contact carbide3d support.
If I undo the belt from the gantry ( X axis ) and unloop it from the pulley, so that the pulley from the motor is freely, how could I check the stepper motor if it would rotate at all and is not seized up?

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun May 10, 2015 4:20 pm

zamp wrote:
franazzo wrote:
Hi cvoinescu,
I think you said the switches are all on 1/8. Did you make sure they're also all on N23? The SO3 ships with NEMA 23 stepper motors, not NEMA 17. If you need to move the switches to N23, again make sure the power is off before doing that.
All switches are set on 1/8 and NEMA 17 and I changed it to NEMA 23, with no luck.
Will suggested to contact carbide.