Jogging in Carbide motion not smooth.

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill

Jogging in Carbide motion not smooth.

Postby franazzo » Thu May 14, 2015 4:33 am

I still have problems with the stepper motors.
Z-axis is go and stop and go and stop and is very uneven.
X-axis is stuttering on the spot, it is going nowhere.
Y1 and Y2-axis runs very rough and not smooth at all, it moves for a few inches and then it stutters and then it moves again. They are also are making very whiny noises. It starts with a lower ton and as the machine runs the sound gets higher. After reading and reading in the forum and Wiki, it sounds like it may be a weak connection somewhere.
I disconnected all 16 wires and checked them out but there was nothing wrong of which I could see .
The only thing I was surprised about was with respect to the crimpt wires . It is very difficult to see if they actually make the proper contact as the wires are so very fine. I don't have proper equipment to determine if this may be the problem.
I contacted Edward about the X-axis motor and he asked me to send him a picture from the wirings.
I have not yet received any response back from him yet.
I enclose two pictures of the crimpt wires and one picture of what my shapeoko3 can do, and so far it is not much.
Attachments
IMG_6919.JPG
IMG_6919.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
IMG_6918.JPG
IMG_6918.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
IMG_6915.JPG
IMG_6915.JPG (104.94 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
franazzo

Re: Jogging in Carbide motion not smooth.

Postby Brian Stone » Thu May 14, 2015 5:52 am

franazzo wrote:X-axis is stuttering on the spot, it is going nowhere.

The stuttering problem that you're experiencing with the X-axis is something that I experienced on my SO2 with a Synthetos GShield very recently. While attempting to jog my Y-axis, the motors would lurch but they would never turn and hold position, in other words the gantry would make no progress in either direction. The problem turned out to be the MiniDIN-4 connectors that I've been using to connect the GShield to the motors. There was at least one pin that had intermittent contact. I measured connectivity using my multimeter but couldn't find a fault, but the problem would reoccur when the machine was turned on. I was only able to diagnose it by deliberately loosening the connector while I jogged the machine (DON'T do this by the way; it can damage the controller. The test was very brief to reduce the chance of damage.)

Anyway, that's my two cents. I don't have experience with the Carbide controller, but I suspect it is susceptible to similar problems and would probably exhibit similar behavior.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender
Brian Stone

Postby edh » Thu May 14, 2015 12:25 pm

FWIW - Here is the response I received from Carbide on this yesterday. Looks like a known issue they are addressing. I also read this to be a software issue, not a controller issue.

Hey Ed-

It's "kind of" a problem. We've been changing the way we do the fast/slow jogging to try and smooth that out between all Mac and Windows computers out there. It's turned out the be more difficult than we thought to get fast reaction to a key press/release with minimal delay either way.

I'd expect another revision or two before we get it right.

---------------------

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:07 AM UTC, wrote:
Hey Team Carbide -

Based on this forum thread (just the last few posts):
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6094

I wanted to send you some information on a jog issue I am seeing with Carbide Motion on my Macbook Pro.

This video linked below shows the problem (basically a stutter every rotation or so) as well as machine settings and software / OS versions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, please let me know if I can send anything else to help diagnose things.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4me7nsr7rktto ... 7.mov?dl=0
edh

Postby franazzo » Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Brian Stone wrote:
franazzo wrote:X-axis is stuttering on the spot, it is going nowhere.

The stuttering problem that you're experiencing with the X-axis is something that I experienced on my SO2 with a Synthetos GShield very recently. While attempting to jog my Y-axis, the motors would lurch but they would never turn and hold position, in other words the gantry would make no progress in either direction. The problem turned out to be the MiniDIN-4 connectors that I've been using to connect the GShield to the motors. There was at least one pin that had intermittent contact. I measured connectivity using my multimeter but couldn't find a fault, but the problem would reoccur when the machine was turned on. I was only able to diagnose it by deliberately loosening the connector while I jogged the machine (DON'T do this by the way; it can damage the controller. The test was very brief to reduce the chance of damage.)

Anyway, that's my two cents. I don't have experience with the Carbide controller, but I suspect it is susceptible to similar problems and would probably exhibit similar behavior.

Thanks Brian!
franazzo

Postby franazzo » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 pm

edh wrote:FWIW - Here is the response I received from Carbide on this yesterday. Looks like a known issue they are addressing. I also read this to be a software issue, not a controller issue.

Hey Ed-

It's "kind of" a problem. We've been changing the way we do the fast/slow jogging to try and smooth that out between all Mac and Windows computers out there. It's turned out the be more difficult than we thought to get fast reaction to a key press/release with minimal delay either way.

I'd expect another revision or two before we get it right.

---------------------

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:07 AM UTC, wrote:
Hey Team Carbide -

Based on this forum thread (just the last few posts):
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6094

I wanted to send you some information on a jog issue I am seeing with Carbide Motion on my Macbook Pro.

This video linked below shows the problem (basically a stutter every rotation or so) as well as machine settings and software / OS versions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, please let me know if I can send anything else to help diagnose things.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4me7nsr7rktto ... 7.mov?dl=0

Thanks edh
franazzo

Postby LTEPM » Fri May 15, 2015 1:09 am

I've only noticed it when jogging across a long distances. I don't notice any issues when running an NC file or while homing.
LTEPM

Postby garetbiglow » Sat May 30, 2015 4:58 pm

I have the same problem. Same version of the software
SO3 #0196
garetbiglow

Postby LTEPM » Sat May 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Same issue here when jogging, varies with speed of jogging.

No issues while running a job.

I would recommend checking your com port speed settings, mine resets to 9600 8-N-1 when I restart my computer. Don't believe it has anything to do with the software. I am running Windows 8.1.
LTEPM

Return to Shapeoko 3 Assembly