Limit, E-stop,and other connectors on CM board

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
TomDChi

Re: Limit, E-stop,and other connectors on CM board

Post by TomDChi » Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 pm

With a little digging around, I came across this:

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 423#p26423
You can also wire up a button to pin A1 for "Feed Hold" which will pause the machine until you press the button wired up to pin A2 - "Cycle Start/Resume"

See: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Connecting-Grbl
So feed hold implies two buttons: one to hold and one to resume. Now that I'm thinking it through, I would think you'd want a big, red physical E Stop button, and potentially leave the feed hold/resume for keys on the keyboard running through the controller software. What I can find on Carbide's software is very limited:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... l_Software

Does anyone who is using it know if hold/resume is currently active through the software other than sending text commands directly?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 pm

I really think the big, red, physical stop button should be a true E-stop which powers down _everything_, spindle, stepper motors, vacuum, &c. for safety reasons.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 pm

E-Stop implies "Emergency" - it should only be used when the machine is on fire, pulling you into the cutter or some other catastrophe is happening. It should cut ALL power: spindle, coolant, stepper motors, etc.

When you hit the E-Stop, everything should STOP. It's a hard reset, you will need to reset your zero and everything else.

There is a reset button on the controller that can be used to just stop cutting. It will also require you to reset your zero and the like, but it doesn't power everything down.

Feed Hold is designed to pause the machine so you can move something out of the way, maybe move a clamp, pull out some swarf, etc.

Cycle Start resumes a feed hold, it also can be used to start a program after you send it to Grbl if you turn off the 'auto-start' setting. So you can start streaming and the machine won't start moving until you hit 'cycle start'.

When I get around to building my control panel, it will have Feed Hold, Cycle Start, Reset and E-Stop on it. Also controls for the spindle and vacuum.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Thu May 28, 2015 4:35 pm

This is great advice. Thanks.
What are the normal odds (barring stupidity on my part) of a fire?
Is this a common occurrence? Once every 100 jobs, 50 jobs, 10,000 jobs?
I already have a small fire extinguisher that I will move a lot closer to the SO3.
Shapeoko 3 #304

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu May 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Odds of the machine catching fire? Pretty low I'd guess. But if you are cutting wood, and you go too deep and/or too slow it can generate a lot of heat, so the chance is there.

Also there is dust floating around, and possibly lubricant if you are cutting metal and the router motor will be making sparks internally (due to the brushes). So there is a chance.

I never run my mill unattended because things happen. I've had the end mill pull out of the collet, and that can get unpleasant. I've had the work piece come loose and start getting tossed around a little.

When I worked in a real machine shop they occasionally had large (hundreds of pounds) pieces of steel come loose from the table and get tossed around. You don't want that to happen. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

xfairgamex

Post by xfairgamex » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:07 am

The problem I see with cutting all power is that the step motors can then move freely, and the weight of the router causes the Z axis to plunge while the spindle hasn't had a chance to stop completely. This could cause more damage to the workpiece or the waste board. I suppose if it's a true emergency and someone may be in danger this doesn't really matter, but the best option (for me anyway) might be multiple stop switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:37 am

By the time you need to hit the e-stop the material should not be a consideration.

Feed hold would be the button to use if you need to pause the machine to adjust or tidy up something.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

kmandress

Post by kmandress » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:55 pm

TomDChi wrote:With a little digging around, I came across this:

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 423#p26423
You can also wire up a button to pin A1 for "Feed Hold" which will pause the machine until you press the button wired up to pin A2 - "Cycle Start/Resume"

See: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Connecting-Grbl
So feed hold implies two buttons: one to hold and one to resume. Now that I'm thinking it through, I would think you'd want a big, red physical E Stop button, and potentially leave the feed hold/resume for keys on the keyboard running through the controller software. What I can find on Carbide's software is very limited:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... l_Software

Does anyone who is using it know if hold/resume is currently active through the software other than sending text commands directly?
I see a "Feed Hold" connection on the JPG of the controller board, but no "Cycle Start / Resume" connector. Am I missing it somehow?

I'm putting a controller console together with a SuperPID, E-STOP, etc. and would like to include the suspend/resume buttons as well. How is this supposed to work with the Carbide board? Physical "pause" switch and then SW "resume" via the g-code sender? I don't think (e.g.) UGS would allow me to send any G-code in the middle of a job.

PurdueEngineer

Post by PurdueEngineer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:02 am

I'd like to do the same thing kmandress. I like the idea of a physical start/resume button. Assuming the CM board is running a stock version of GRBL, I might try to probe the few unlabeled and reserved connectors to find continuity with the A2 pin on the Atmel chip. I'll let you all know if I find a match.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:24 am

Ordered some Molex KK 254 housings from Jameco. Pretty clear why the fit is a problem:

And that's totally within spec (0.2122″ to 0.2240″), but I'm guessing there's only 0.2″ of space on the board, so they don't fit very well.

Anyway, I was able to file off the edges of the middle plug enough that it mostly works:

Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.