Question .. Page 18 ... on wire routing

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
kristenanne77

Question .. Page 18 ... on wire routing

Post by kristenanne77 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 pm

On page 18 it says that the power and USB should route to the right from the rear view.
This means the connectors for the four steppers are on the upper side of the board when looking from the rear.
BUT
In the videos I have seen it shows the stepper motor connectors towards the bottom.
It doesn't appear that there should be any difference as long as the wires have enough play in them but I was curious if there was a preferred method (or were the instructions incorrect)
Shapeoko3 electronic back.jpg
Shapeoko3 electronic back.jpg (158.9 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Thanks
K

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Question .. Page 18 ... on wire routing

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 30, 2015 10:51 pm

That’s how I have my electronics installed.

I did route the Y-axis wires in from the bottom, but may change that the next time I open things up.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sun May 31, 2015 12:45 am

I have mine installed so the writing is right side up with the motor connectors on the bottom. I find this works better for me as I have put spiral wrap on the X&Z cables and placed a cable clamp on the fan housing with a 3 mm screw.

My option connectors are also on top so it's easier for me to work on them and route out the top.

The electrons run fine either way and I haven't seen any fall onto the work surface.

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun May 31, 2015 8:10 pm

kristenanne77 wrote:On page 18 it says that the power and USB should route to the right from the rear view.
This means the connectors for the four steppers are on the upper side of the board when looking from the rear.
BUT
In the videos I have seen it shows the stepper motor connectors towards the bottom.
It doesn't appear that there should be any difference as long as the wires have enough play in them but I was curious if there was a preferred method (or were the instructions incorrect)
The attachment Shapeoko3 electronic back.jpg is no longer available
Thanks
K
Just wondering, are those color combinations in your pictures from the stepper motors the way them came from carbide3d? I will attach a picture of my color combinations which was the way I received them but they are different from yours. I wondering why and if this could be part of the problem I am having.
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_6930.JPG
IMG_6930.JPG (88.57 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Stepper motors are weird. There are only two directions they can rotate, but w/ two pairs of wires, at least four possible ways that they can be wired, so despite a different appearance, the functionality could be the same.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:38 am

franazzo wrote:
kristenanne77 wrote:On page 18 it says that the power and USB should route to the right from the rear view.
BUT
Shapeoko3 electronic back.jpg
Thanks
K
Just wondering, are those color combinations in your pictures from the stepper motors the way them came from carbide3d? I will attach a picture of my color combinations which was the way I received them but they are different from yours. I wondering why and if this could be part of the problem I am having.
Thanks
Thats the way the wires came in the connector. I didn't do anything. I just plugged the connectors in the only way they would go. I have no idea if it is correct electrically. I am waiting for a replacement belt ...and then i will be "surprised".

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Both orientations in that image work, and cause the motor to turn in the same direction. So they're both correct.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RawIndDesign

Post by RawIndDesign » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Just thought I'd share my cable management. . .

BOM:
30331-01 Drag Chain 15mm 30mm 1m Semi Open
M4X20MM Flat Head PHIL (2x)
M5X70MM SHCP (1x)
M5 Hex Nut (1x)

Tools Required:
3.25MM (.128") Drill
M4X.70 Tap

Modify terminal link to fit X-Axis Nema 23 top motor mount detent. Replace hardware with M5X70MM SHCP and additional M5 Hex. Drill & Tap for two M4X20MM at center of X Axis Extrusion. Be sure to position overflush to edge to avoid interference between belt guide bushings and the Drag Chain. You may also notice that the X & Z Limit Switch Cables can also be routed through the drag chain. Although not complete, the DWP 611 Cable & SuperPID cable will also be routed along the outside edge of the Drag Chain as well.

Hope this helps neaten things up.
-Chris
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (194.34 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (117.42 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (113.72 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Somehow, I managed to miss RawIndDesign's nice mod, but he was pro-active enough to prompt me about it in a PM, so it's now on the wiki as well:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... the_Z-axis